Alleged $2.2m fraud: EFCC recalls witness in trial of ex-NHIS boss

Date:

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on Wednesday recalled its first witness before a Federal High Court, Lagos, in the trial of a former Executive Secretary of the National Health Insurance Scheme, Femi Thomas, charged with 2.2 milion dollars fraud.
The EFCC had applied to recall the witness before Justice Ayokunle Faji, through a motion, following a third amendment to the charge.
Thomas was re-arraigned on January 17, alongside a bureau de change operator, Kabiru Sidi, on an amended seven charge bordering on money laundering.
They were alleged to have carried out cash transactions to the tune of 2.2 million dollars without going through any financial institution, contrary to legal provisions.
They, however, had pleaded not guilty to the charge, and were allowed to continue with bail earlier granted them.
On Wednesday, the Prosecutor, Mr Ekene Iheanacho, informed the court of a motion seeking to recall the first prosecution witness, Mr John Bamidele, who had testified before the court.
He argued that by the provisions of Sections 219 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, the court could allow recall of a witness even where trial had commenced, in as much as there was an amended charge.
In his ruling, the court found the prosecution’s application meritorious and granted it.
The witness, led in evidence by the prosecutor, testified that he had earlier told the court that he bought dollars for the first defendant (Thomas).
He also testified that he had told the court that 2.1 million dollars he carried to Abuja was given to him so as to give the first defendant the Naira equivalent,
The witness equally said he had testified that he agreed to buy a dollar for N227, bringing the total Naira equivalent to N498.9 million.
When the prosecution sought to ask the witness the nature of the transaction, and his relationship with the first accused, the defence objected on the grounds that those facts had already been dealt with in the witness’s earlier evidence.
The court sustained the objection.
The prosecutor then asked the witness if the money handed to him was for charity.
“No,” he replied.
The court adjourned the trial until February 20.
The EFCC accused the duo of committing the offences on July 15, 2015.
The anti-graft agency alleged that the accused conspired to make cash payments of 2.2 million dollars to one Bamidele without going through any financial institution.
The second accused was alleged to have lied to an operative of the EFCC that he was the owner of the money.
According to the prosecution, the offences contravene the Sections 1 (a), 18(2)(b) and 39(2)(b) of the EFCC Act, 2004. (NAN)

READ MORE  NGO trains 50 youths for Nigeria’s leadership transformation programme

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

At 28, Osborn Umahi Emerges Ohaozara Council Chairman

Engr. Osborn Nweze Umahi has emerged chairman of Ohaozara...

FG declares Tuesday, August 25 public holiday

  By Lateef Ibrahim, Abuja The Federal Government has declared Tuesday,...

Adeleke joining Accord is a disaster to the party, says factional Chairman

By Lateef Ibrahim, Abuja   A factional National Chairman of Accord,...

INEC conducts nationwide mock accreditation exercise In Nov ahead 2027 polls

By Lateef Ibrahim, Abuja   The Chairman of Independent National Electoral...