Residents protest communal attacks in Edo villages

Date:

By Osaigbovo Iguobaro, Benin

Inhabitants of Oke-Oroma Village in Ikpoba Okha Local Government Area of Edo State have protested the upsurge of communal attacks in their localities.
Already, three indigenes of Oke-Oroma have been injured in the recent onslaught over unabated boundary dispute between the two villages.
The state government had proscribed the formation of CDA’s in the state, but with the recent attacks, it is seen by many as a proof of pockets of individuals still engaging in the practices of the outlawed CDA.
It would be recalled that few years ago, similar incident of attack occurred where properties of the people of Oke-Oroma running into millions and a mother of two killed in the process.
Narrating the recent ordeal, one of the survivals of the alleged attack, Mr. Osazee Omoregbe, said he was ambushed while laying a foundation of his house by suspected thugs.
“I have never seen such a thing before. What happened yesterday took us by surprise.
“We were in the bush laying foundation in one of the youths plot of land when suddenly some group of armed boys came to attack us.
“They surrounded us. The next thing, they brought out their guns and started shooting. When I noticed I had nothing to confront them I tried to escape.
“They shot sporadically at me. They chased me while I was running. I managed to escape but sustained bullet wounds. They shot at me more than five times”, he stated.
On their part, some elders of Oke-Oroma represented by, Pa Ebo Osemwingie, and Monday Okhoulegbe who spoke on behalf of the village, denied any wrong doing.
They lamented that similar attack surfaced in 2017 and 2018 which got one badly injured, a life lost and properties destroyed.
“We don’t know what they want from us. Amagba belong to ward two in Oredo while we at Oke-Oroma belong to ward 9 Ikpoba Okha.
In 2017 and 2018 precisely, they (Amagba) launched attack on us which eventually got one of our wife killed.
“The woman killed was just buried last week after two years. We were very lucky that we invited the military men who came aptly to rescue us.
“We are not a violent people and at all time we embrace peace. We are sending save our soul message to the Oba of Benin Kingdom, Oba Ewuare II and the hardworking Governor of Edo state, Godwin Obaseki to stop yellow man and his proteges from further attack,” he said.
The Commissioner of police, Danmallam Mohammed said that he is yet to be properly briefed about the incident.
He however promised Police will swing into action and bring the alleged perpetrators to book.

READ MORE  FG moves to repatriate 60,000 Nigerian refugees in Cameroon

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Sultan Urges Peaceful Coexistence For National Progress 

Sultan Urges Peaceful Coexistence For National Progress  By Bashir Rabe...

Kebbi ADC Appoints Campaign Council 

Kebbi ADC Appoints Campaign Council    The Gubernatorial Candidate of the...

Kebbi Releases N2.07bn to Boost Tertiary Education, Approves Staff Allowances

Kebbi Releases N2.07bn to Boost Tertiary Education, Approves Staff...

Yobe Sets 3 Million-Tree Target in Fresh Battle Against Desertification

  From Muhammad Maitela, Damaturu The Yobe State Government has launched...