Ekiti agog as abducted Monarch freed

Date:

It was all joy in Ekiti yesterday when the kidnapped traditional ruler of Ilemeso-Ekiti in Oye Council Area Oba David Oyewumi regained his freedom.

Reports said  Oyewumi was abducted by gunmen last Thursday around 8:30pm when they forcefully gained entrance to his palace through the fence.

The kidnappers contacted the family last Saturday and demanded a N20 million ransom for his release.

Confirming his release, Ekiti Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Sunday Abutu, said the monarch had been left off the hook and reunited with his family.

“I can confirm to you that the monarch had been released from captivity. He had also reunited with his family.

READ MORE  Sallah: Aliyu doles out SR 2.4m to Sokoto pilgrims

“However, he is presently receiving medical care in one of the facilities in the state as a result of the trauma he passed through”.

Abutu added the Command was not aware of any ransom paid to secure the monarch’s release, saying his freedom was necessitated by the concerted actions taken by the police and other security agencies.

Ekiti Amotekun Corps Commander, Brig Gen. Joe Komolafe, said the traditional ruler was rescued at Obbo Ayegunle, Ekiti Local Government area of Kwara State with the support of the Vigilante members in Kwara State for the Amotekun operatives.

Komolafe said: “When we went into the bush, we tracked the traditional ruler to the area, the Vigilante from Kwara State joined our team and we were able to rescue him in the forest at Obbo-Ile, Kwara State.

READ MORE  Niger govt. seeks residents support for urban devt, policy

“No ransom was paid. We have brought him home and he is currently receiving medical attention”.

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

TODAY'S e-PUBLICATION

Popular

More like this
Related

Sokoto ADC governorship candidate mourns boat accident victims

From Bashir Rabe Mani in Sokoto The Governorship Candidate of...

Sokoto Boat Accident: Death Toll Rises to 47

From Bashir Rabe Mani in Sokoto Fourty-seven bodies have so...

2027: PDP candidate, Galadima outlines agenda for healthcare, infrastructure, peace in Wukari/Ibi

By Stanley Onyekwere Mukhtar Usman Galadima, popularly known as...

Sokoto boat accident: At least 40 bodies recovered

By Reuters Bodies of victims of a boat accident lie in...