Reps kick against Exxonmobile over contract abuse

Date:

 

By Christiana Ekpa

The House of Representatives Ad hoc Committee investigating contract abuse by ExxonMobil yesterday kicked against the oil giant over contract abuse and gross violation of indigenous catering firm’s right.
Hon. Legor Idagbo, Chairman of the Committee expressed concern at the rate its pleas are being disregarded at the House C’ttee investigative hearing on Tuesday in Abuja.
Idagbo said that the House frown at the way ExxonMobil was treating indigenous catering companies, while condemning the complete disregard of its advised by the company.
The House had written to the oil giant to put on hold its ongoing catering bidding exercise pending the determination of the petition before it.
The house requested for a suspension of the process following a petition on abuse of bidding process levied against the management of ExxonMobil by the Indigenous catering firm of Nigeria.
He said that ExxonMobil was supposed to have respected the content of a letter forwarded to it by the committee to suspend the ongoing contract bidding process.
The committee also made observations on certain aspects of the contract process after listening to both ExxonMobil and members of the Indigenous catering firm.
Mr Olusegun Banwo, the Executive Director, Finance however tried albiet effortlessly to defend the affront by ExxonMobil on the Parliament.
He said that some of the indigenous catering firm did not meet the requirement, adding that some who were given initially could not meet up.
He said that some of them had to re award the contract to the same foreigners, thereby necessitating their action.
Mrs Ifeoma Ibanga, concern indigenous catering firm while making her presentation said that ExxonMobil deliberately shut them out in a bid to favour some foreigners who were caterers.
She asked the House of Reps to follow the Act that compel the company to obey the laws allowing the indigenous company to be engaged in such contract.
Meanwhile, the committee had earlier dismissed representatives of National Petroleum Investment Management Service for failure on the part of its Managing Director to appear in person before the House.
The House also raised concerns over what it terms the levity with which MDs of multinational corporations treat invitations by the Parliament.
The Committee however adjourned until May to continue the investigation with a charge that ExxonMobil furnished the parliament with details and evidence of it’s claims.

READ MORE  CSO sue University of Agriculture over illegal bursar appointment

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Kano Govt Completes 867 of 1,557 Projects in Three Years – Commissioner

From Mustapha Adamu, Kano The Kano State Government says it...

Benue Killings Demand Urgent, Extraordinary Action, Aondoakaa Says

By Uche Nnorom, Makurdi Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate...

Osun victory signals 2027 battle, more participation – Timi Frank

Former Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives...

Foundation holds children’s party to promote creativity in Kaduna

From Femi Oyelola, Kaduna   The Naomi Stephen Children Foundation,...