Super Falcons attacked in Austria on train by unidentified man

Date:

  • …NFF vows to identify intruder

 

By Amaechi Agbo

Nigeria’s Super Falcons were Tuesday verbally attacked and insulted by a yet to be identified man who said he was a Nigerian.

The unknown man who entered same train the team and officials travelled on made all kinds of unprintable remarks including describing Nigerian Government as a ”terrorist Organisation”

However, the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF has vowed to unmask the the unknown attacker.

In a release Tuesday, the NFF says it has initiated moves to ensure the unmasking of the self-acclaimed Nigerian who got on the train with the Super Falcons in Vienna, Austria on Tuesday and made the players uncomfortable with inflammatory political talks.

Team officials explained on Tuesday afternoon that the girls, who had been in the Austrian capital since Thursday preparing for upcoming international engagements, opted to have a view of the city after their morning training, and decided on public transport to the city centre.

READ MORE  NPFL Club Owners Chairman calls for caution over league cancellation

The guy, whose claim to be a Nigerian was much doubtful from his accent, launched into abuses against the girls for representing

Nigeria, and kept saying that no one could touch him because that would amount to assault as he had not touched anyone.

His tirade did not unsettle the girls in any way as he was ignored throughout, and the disciplined response infuriated him the more.

However, Nigeria’s FIFA Match Agent, Jairo Pachon told NFF media that the matter has been immediately reported to the Austrian Police and the Embassy of Nigeria, and the fellow, who was bundled out of the train at the next station, would be fished out.

“It is unfortunate. The girls were on the way to the city centre which was just a few minutes from the hotel. They entered this train and the guy got inside and started insulting them. He was bundled out at the next station and we have reported the matter to the Embassy of Nigeria and the Austrian Police. We have never had this kind of case with any of our teams and lessons have been learnt and we will be guided appropriately going forward.

READ MORE  Suspected Fulani herdsmen kill another 20 in Benue

“This incident will not in any way affect the team’s camping programme and they will remain in Austria until Saturday, 24th July as scheduled.”

President of the NFF and FIFA Council Member, Mr Amaju Melvin Pinnick said the NFF will immediately report the matter to world football –governing body, FIFA and would pursue the case to its logical conclusion.

“We are infuriated because these are young ladies who are our ambassadors and are there in Austria preparing for major international competitions. That was a dastardly act by that fellow and we are not taking it lightly. The girls simply wanted to go on sightseeing and there is nothing wrong with that. They do not deserve to be subjected to such diatribe by a so-called fellow Nigerian.

READ MORE  Int’l friendlies: Super Eagles targets Ronaldo’s Portugal after two-all draw with Poland

“We will unmask the fellow and then take it from there.”

Bestchoicesports.com.ng we publish the details of the  conversation.

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Kogi: KONGONET Demands Urgent Action On Security, Health Workers, Others

  The Kogi NGOs Network (KONGONET) has called on the...

Just In: Tinubu Orders Arrest of Three Perm Secs Over Newly Uncovered Fake Agencies

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of...

Sokoto Boat Mishap: Death Toll Hits 65 as 11 Survivors Are Rescued

From Bashir Rabe Mani, Sokoto The death toll from Thursday’s...

Insecurity: Tambuwal, Dasuki Seek Urgent Attention for Sokoto Communities

By Bashir Rabe Mani, Sokoto Former Sokoto State Governor and...