$10bn 7 Train Project: Senate tackles NCDMB over violation of local Content

Date:

By Musa Baba Adamu

The Senate through its Committee on Local Content ,took   up management of Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board ( NCDMB)  on Wednesday over alleged breach   of local content laws being carried out by SAIPEM in the execution of the $10billion Train 7 gas  project.

SAIPEM ( S.P.A ), is an Italian Multinational Oil Field Services Company serving as the principal contractor involved in executing the Train 7 Project.

Relying on petitions written against SAIPEM , the Senate Committee chaired by Senator Teslim Folarin ( APC Oyo Central) , summoned Executive Secretary of NCDMB, Engineer Simbi Wabote for interface on perceived regulatory negligence.

The summoning as stated by Senator Folarin at the beginning of the investigative session , was sequel to failure of SAIPEM to defend allegations of violations of local content laws in the execution of the $10billion gas project contract .

READ MORE  Kogi LG polls: CNPP rejects alleged planned sale of nomination forms by SIEC

“SAIPEM appeared before this committee in December last year on alleged violations of local content laws in the execution of the $10billion Train 7 Project without any convincing defensive submissions.

“The management of the construction firm failed to defend any of the allegations made against it by the petitioners as far as adherence to local content laws is concerned.

“Failure of SAIPEM to speak convincingly to the petitions, led to the appearance of management of NCDMB before us today being the regulatory agency monitoring the implementation of the local content laws”, he said.

But after about two hours closed door Session with the NCDMB management , the committee , declared that its submissions were unsatisfactory.

READ MORE  Adamawa: INEC nullifies declaration of APC candidate, Binani as Governors-elect

Addressing the press, after the session , the Deputy Whip of the Senate who doubles as Vice Chairman of the Committee, Senator Aliyu Sabi Abdullahi ( APC Niger North ) , said NCDMB is to re – appear before the Committee on Tuesday next week .

“Submissions made by the Executive Secretary of NCDMB befofe the committee at the closed door Session, were unsatisfactory by grossly lacking in facts and figures.

“In ensuring thoroughness on  investigation of allegations made against SAIPEM and by extension,  regulatory  negligence on the part of NCDMB, the committee has directed the agency to re – appear before it next week Tuesday .

READ MORE  1,000 Anti-Corruption Crusaders Threaten Lawsuit Against Fubara If He Fails To Probe Former LG Chairmen 

“We are being cautious in coming up with report on the investigation  because issues involved are very sensitive to the Nation’s economy and development “, he said .

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Kogi: KONGONET Demands Urgent Action On Security, Health Workers, Others

  The Kogi NGOs Network (KONGONET) has called on the...

Just In: Tinubu Orders Arrest of Three Perm Secs Over Newly Uncovered Fake Agencies

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of...

Sokoto Boat Mishap: Death Toll Hits 65 as 11 Survivors Are Rescued

From Bashir Rabe Mani, Sokoto The death toll from Thursday’s...

Insecurity: Tambuwal, Dasuki Seek Urgent Attention for Sokoto Communities

By Bashir Rabe Mani, Sokoto Former Sokoto State Governor and...