Hajj: At last, FCT Pilgrims receive Nusuk Cards from Saudi authorities

Stories by Stanley Onyekwere

Following days of anxiety and uncertainty, there was a wave of joy and relief all over  “House 3” in Makkah, one of the Hotels hosting pilgrims from Nigeria’s Capital, Abuja.

The Nusuk Card, issued by the Saudi authorities, is an essential digital permit allowing pilgrims to access key religious sites in Mina, Arafat, and Muzdalifah, without which, no pilgrim is permitted to perform the core rites of Hajj. And for several days, many FCT pilgrims, particularly those in “House 3” waited in uncertainty as their cards failed to arrive.

It was gathered that the situation  left many pilgrims distressed, fearing they might miss out on the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity of performing Hajj after years of preparation and sacrifice.

However, the tide turned late Tuesday morning when the long-awaited cards were delivered, triggering a jubilant mood in the building. Smiles replaced frowns, and pilgrims were seen exchanging prayers and embraces in a show of communal relief.

READ MORE  Bishop urges youth to be vanguards of unity

Reportedly, the breakthrough came after a high-level intervention by the Minister of State for FCT, Dr. Mariya Mahmoud, and Senator Ali Ndume who chairs the Senate Committee on Army and is also performing the pilgrimage alongside efforts by FCT Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board officials led by the Director, Mal Kadiri Edah. Pilgrims affected by the delay expressed deep appreciation to the officials for rising to the occasion and ensuring their participation in the sacred rites was no longer in jeopardy.

One of the pilgrims, Alhaji Usman Bello, who described the moment he received his card as “a huge burden lifted off my chest”, said: We thank Senator Ndume and the Honourable Minister for stepping in. Their intervention brought us hope and, eventually, our Nusuk Cards,” he said. “We can now focus on our worship without distraction.”

READ MORE  Residents assured of resolve to rid Abuja of criminality

Also, another pilgrim, Hajiya Maryam, echoed similar sentiments, noting that the days of waiting had been emotionally taxing.

“We had sleepless nights, worrying we might be left behind. Today, I cried tears of joy. I pray Allah rewards everyone who worked to resolve this.”

Furthermore, inside sources revealed that the delays were largely due to processing backlogs and logistical hitches on the part of some Saudi service providers.

 While NAHCON had earlier assured pilgrims that the cards would be delivered in time, the mounting pressure and emotional toll led many to appeal directly to senior Nigerian officials on ground.

In response, FCT Minister of State, Dr. Mariya Mahmoud and Senator Ndume reportedly held discussions with key Saudi officials and NAHCON representatives, urging expedited action to resolve the matter.

READ MORE  NGO seeks improved access to learning, justice for girls

Meanwhile, a NAHCON official, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed that all affected pilgrims  had now been issued their cards.

“We appreciate the patience of the pilgrims. The intervention by our senior officials undoubtedly helped fast-track the process”, the official said.

As the Hajj rituals draw nearer, with Pilgrims scheduled for movement to Mina from Makkah, the mood in House 3 has shifted from tension to thankfulness. Pilgrims can now concentrate on preparing spiritually for the Arafat Day — the pinnacle of the Hajj — knowing that their participation is assured.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here