Cape Verde, Congo DR hailed as Africa’s World Cup underdog stories

Date:

By Amaechi Agbo

Cape Verde and Congo DR have been praised by Diego Forlan and Hristo Stoichkov after becoming two of the standout African stories of the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
Both nations defied expectations to reach the round of 32 in the first 48-team edition of the tournament, giving Africa two powerful examples of what the expanded format can offer.
Cape Verde, appearing at their first World Cup, finished second in Group H behind Spain after going unbeaten and finishing above Uruguay and Saudi Arabia.
Congo DR also advanced from a difficult Group K featuring Colombia, Portugal and Uzbekistan, qualifying as one of the best third-placed teams to set up a knockout tie with England.
For Africa, their progress has carried special meaning.
It has shown that countries without long World Cup traditions can compete with more established football nations when given the platform.
Stoichkov praises Cape Verde fairy tale
Former Bulgaria forward Hristo Stoichkov said Cape Verde’s achievement had been one of the most remarkable stories of the tournament.
“What they’ve done is phenomenal. They’re going to be facing Argentina [next], but so far, it’s amazing, a fairy tale,” he told the FIFA Podcast.
“Cabo Verde are an organised, disciplined team. I watch their faces: they’re very happy – the players, and the coach. This is very important.”
Cape Verde’s success has been built on organisation, belief and calmness under pressure.
The Blue Sharks drew with Spain, Uruguay and Saudi Arabia to reach the knockout stage on their World Cup debut.
They will now face defending champions Argentina, led by Lionel Messi, at Miami Stadium on 3 July.
It is one of the biggest matches in Cape Verde’s football history, but the team have already changed perceptions with their performances in the group stage.

READ MORE  “Being a footballer doesn’t stop me from being a wife, mother” – Ngozi Okobi

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Police Rescue 75 Kidnapped Passengers in Birnin Gwari as Suspects Flee Forest Hideout

By Femi Oyelola, Kaduna Seventy-five kidnapped victims, including men, women...

FG congratulates Bangladesh’s new president Alamgir

The Federal Government of Nigeria has congratulated Mirza...

FG declares Tuesday public holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

The Federal Government has declared Tuesday, August 25, 2026,...

Dangote pledges N600m LASU hostel, offers first-class graduates jobs

Aliko Dangote has pledged N600m towards the construction of...