Dusk to dawn curfew imposed on Lafia

Date:

Al-MakuraFrom Gambo Ahmed, Lafia with agency report

Governor Umaru Tanko Al-Makura of Nasarawa state has imposed a dusk to dawn curfew on Lafia, the Nasarawa state capital, after deadly clashes broke out Monday with at least one death reported.

According to the Chief Press Secretary to the state governor Yakubu Lamai, the curfew will be between the hours of 6p.m. and 6a.m.

Fresh violence erupted in Lafia yesterday as rival youth groups clashed. Earlier report said some youth went after residents who are of Eggon ethnic extraction.

The crisis grounded economic activities as shops owners closed for the day.

It was gathered that the youth were on revenge mission over the near invasion of the palace of the Emir of Lafia, Isah Mustapha Agwai I, by youth suspected to be Eggon on Sunday. That incident led to the death of two people.

READ MORE  ABU set to establish distance learning center in Jeddah

Gunmen had at the weekend attacked Alakyo village, which is the ancestral home of the spiritual leader of Ombatse militia Lega Agu also known as Baba Alakyo.

Alakyo is the village where over 89 Nigerian security operatives were killed last year by the Ombatse militia group.

In Lafia, mob sacked Tudun Gwandara, a popular Eggon community in Lafia, and set fire on the house of the president of the Eggon Youth Movement, EYM, Daniel Anyabuga and other few.

Women and children of Eggon extraction were seen in droves moving out of the town and boarding vehicles to Nasarawa Eggon and Akwanga local government area, between 30 to 60 kilometres away from Lafia.

READ MORE  Hand washing, effective in protecting school children, says NGO

A resident said a commercial motorcyclist was set alight in the B.A.D Motor Park. Abubakar Lawal said the victim was on his way to an Eggon settlement when youth hacked him to death and burnt him with his motorcycle.

The spokesperson for the governor could not confirm reports that Baba Alakyo, the spiritual leader of Ombatse militia group, was killed during the invasion of the Alakyo village by gunmen.

Mr. Lamai said that the curfew will ensure that people do not leave their communities to attack others elsewhere.

“What we mean is that people can move in their own areas but should not cross over to other areas that are not theirs and this is only applicable to Lafia the state capital alone,” Mr. Lamai said.

READ MORE  Imoke picks strong team to revive Unicem Rovers

Mr. Lamai also said that Al-Makura has gone round town to see for himself first-hand information of what happened after fresh fighting in Lafia yesterday morning, Premium Times reported yesterday

 

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

TODAY'S e-PUBLICATION

Popular

More like this
Related

Sokoto boat accident: At least 40 bodies recovered

By Reuters Bodies of victims of a boat accident lie in...

Emulate Aliyu’s Development Initiatives, Bagudu Tasks Governors

From Bashir Rabe Mani in Sokoto The Minister of Budget...

Zulum Hosts 4th UN Meeting, Seeks Stronger Investment in Borno’s Recovery

  Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has called...

Gov. Kefas Seeks Stronger Church-Government Partnership to Tackle Societal Vices

By Godwin Agia, Jalingo Taraba State Governor, Dr. Agbu Kefas,...