2 test positive for coronavirus from English Premier League clubs

Date:

Two persons from two English Premier League (EPL) clubs have tested positive for the coronavirus after a second batch of testing, an official said on Saturday.
Since the players returned to limited group training on Tuesday, eight positive tests for the virus have been confirmed from England’s top flight clubs.
“The Premier League can today (Saturday) confirm that on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 996 players and club staff were tested for COVID-19. Of these, two have tested positive from two clubs,” the league said in a statement.
“The Premier League is providing this aggregated information for the purposes of competition, integrity and transparency.
“Players or club staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate for a period of seven days.”
The Premier League said it would not be providing details of the identities of the two new positive tests.
A total of 748 tests of players and club staff made up the initial round of testing on Sunday and Monday.
Watford’s Adrian Mariappa and two members of the club’s non-playing staff and Burnley assistant manager Ian Woan were among six positive tests.
Two other Watford players are also self-isolating after coming into close contact with people who tested positive, according to manager Nigel Pearson.
No matches have been played in the Premier League since March, but the government has given the green light for elite sports to resume from June 1, including top flight football.
All 20 clubs will hold a meeting on Wednesday to decide whether they can move to phase two of the restart and allow full contact training.
Britain’s death toll from the coronavirus pandemic is the highest in Europe with an official figure of 36,675 as of Saturday.
Germany’s Bundesliga returned to action last week with matches in empty stadiums and strict safety protocols.

READ MORE  Police celebrate Commonwealth 400M Hurdles Gold Winner

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Police Rescue 75 Kidnapped Passengers in Birnin Gwari as Suspects Flee Forest Hideout

By Femi Oyelola, Kaduna Seventy-five kidnapped victims, including men, women...

FG congratulates Bangladesh’s new president Alamgir

The Federal Government of Nigeria has congratulated Mirza...

FG declares Tuesday public holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

The Federal Government has declared Tuesday, August 25, 2026,...

Dangote pledges N600m LASU hostel, offers first-class graduates jobs

Aliko Dangote has pledged N600m towards the construction of...