By Godwin Agia, Jalingo

The Taraba State gubernatorial aspirant under the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Chief David Kente, has Wednesday stepped aside from the race, citing the need to preserve peace and unity within the party and the state.

Chief David Sabo Kente announced his stepping aside while interacting with journalists in Jalingo, said the decision came after extensive consultations with political, religious, and ethnic leaders across Taraba and beyond, described the move as a sacrifice made for the collective interest of the state.

He explained that his initial entry into the race was in response to pressure from citizens who felt the current administration had not lived up to expectations, and pointed to the large turnouts during his visits to Wukari and Jalingo as proof of the public’s desire for change.

READ MORE  APC demands explanation from Gov Udom over N239.2 billion debt profile

He revealed that shortly after arriving in Jalingo, Governor Agbu Kefas, his younger brother, visited him and asked him to allow the administration to complete its remaining four years, but requested time to consult with his supporters and stakeholders before making any decision.

Kente said he came under intense pressure from leaders within and outside the state who stressed the importance of political stability in Taraba and within the APC.

He also expressed concern over the conduct of the ongoing party primaries in the state.

“After initial reluctance, I accepted to join the race with a firm determination to make a difference. The reception we received in Wukari and Jalingo showed clearly that the people want change.

READ MORE  Cede 10th Assembly Deputy Speaker to South South - Coalition tells members

“Let me be clear, no one has ‘settled’ me. This decision is solely in the interest of peace, unity, and stability of our party and Taraba State. It is not for personal gain,” he stated.

Kente acknowledged that he had already invested significant resources into the campaign, including funds raised by supporters for the purchase of Expression of Interest and Nomination forms.

He urged his supporters to remain calm and avoid actions that could disrupt party unity and called on them to remain loyal to the APC and work for the success of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, whom he said had good intentions for Taraba and Nigeria.

READ MORE  No state congress held in Cross River, says PDP

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here