Armed men attack Taraba communities, kill 4 – Police

Date:

The Taraba Police Command has confirmed the burial of four persons on Saturday in Jalingo following a dawn attack by an armed militia on three Fulani communities in Lau Local Government Area of the state.
But a resident of one of the affected communities said 15 people were buried at Jalingo cemetery.
The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, David Misal, said those that carried out the attacks were yet be identified. He said no arrest has been made.
The spokesman called for calm and assured residents that security agencies were investigating the incident with a view to arresting and prosecuting the culprits.
The News Agency of Nigeria gathered that the attack was launched at about 6 a.m. on January 6.
The villages attacked by the suspected militia were Babagasa, Donadda and Katibu, which shared common boundary with Adamawa.
A resident of Katibu, Bello Isa, who narrowly escaped the attack, told NAN that many people in his village were killed and houses set ablaze.
Mr. Isa explained that so far bodies of 15 persons killed in the attacks were recovered and buried at about 10 a.m. at the Jalingo Cemetery.
He said many people including women and children were still missing, adding that security agents are yet to be deployed to the area.
“The armed militia whom we identified as Bachama and Nyandang, came to our village at about 6 a.m. today and said their cows were stolen, and before we could reply them, they started shooting and setting our houses ablaze.
“We are residents of the area and have no any misunderstanding with our neighbours who are Nyandang. But we are Fulani by tribe but not herders, yet we came under attacks for no offence,” Mr. Isa said.
A resident of Donada village, Kallamu Mohammed, who also escaped with gun shots, said they were surrounded by the militia whom they also suspected to be Bachama and Nyandang, early Saturday morning.
According to him, the militia who were well armed stormed the area on motorcycles and started shooting and setting their houses ablaze while others looted their properties.(NAN)

READ MORE  AIG Auwal Assumes Duty As 25th Commandant of Police Academy

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

TODAY'S e-PUBLICATION

Popular

More like this
Related

Sokoto boat accident: At least 40 bodies recovered

By Reuters Bodies of victims of a boat accident lie in...

Emulate Aliyu’s Development Initiatives, Bagudu Tasks Governors

From Bashir Rabe Mani in Sokoto The Minister of Budget...

Zulum Hosts 4th UN Meeting, Seeks Stronger Investment in Borno’s Recovery

  Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has called...

Gov. Kefas Seeks Stronger Church-Government Partnership to Tackle Societal Vices

By Godwin Agia, Jalingo Taraba State Governor, Dr. Agbu Kefas,...