Edo Election Tribunal: Okpebholo’s First Witness Admits to Over-Voting

Date:

…as Sen. Okpebholo Abruptly Closes Case

The governorship election petition tribunal in Edo State witnessed a dramatic turn on Monday as Governor Monday Okpebholo’s legal team abruptly closed their case after their first witness admitted to over-voting in Ovia South-West Local Government Area.

The witness, Usman Majek, 31, from Usen in Ovia South-West LGA, was called by Okpebholo’s lawyers to testify in defense of the election results. However, under cross-examination, he confirmed that over-voting had occurred in his polling unit.

When presented with polling unit results and Exhibit PBA40, the official result sheet, the following exchange took place:

Counsel: “That’s your PU result? You signed?”
Majek: “Yes.”
Counsel: “Was there over-voting?”
Majek: “Yes, there was over-voting.”

READ MORE  Tambuwal wants to factionalize National Assembly, says NDF

The admission, made under oath, immediately caused an uproar in court. Ovia South-West is the home LGA of Deputy Governor Dennis Idahosa. Over-voting—where the number of votes cast exceeds the number of accredited voters—is a violation of the Electoral Act 2022.

Following the testimony, legal representatives for Okpebholo unexpectedly declined to call additional witnesses, despite previously indicating they would do so. Instead, they closed their case. APC’s counsel requested an adjournment, stating they needed time to reassess their witness strategy.

The tribunal subsequently adjourned proceedings to Wednesday to allow the respondents to re-evaluate their case.

*PDP Reacts: ‘An Admission of Guilt’*

READ MORE  Edo APC C’ttee gives conditions for new membership

Speaking to journalists outside the courtroom, Ifaluyi Isibor, a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), applauded Sen. Okpebholo’s witness for his honesty, stating that his testimony had further exposed flaws in the election process.

“I must commend the witness for refusing to lie under oath. He could have tried to cover it up, but instead, he told the truth: there was over-voting in Ovia South-West. That is a direct confirmation that the election was flawed,” Isibor said.

He further criticized Sen. Okpebholo’s decision to close its case prematurely, mirroring an earlier move by INEC, which also declined to present a defense.

“With Senator Okpebholo closing his case after just one witness—just like INEC before him—it is clear they have no defense for the heist they committed. If they had any credible argument, they would have brought it forward. Instead, they have chosen silence, which in itself is an admission,” he added.

READ MORE  Leadership requires courage, not comfort – Wike tackles Obi

The tribunal is set to resume proceedings on Wednesday, with the legal teams of the PDP and APC preparing for the next phase of arguments.

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

2027: PDP candidate, Galadima outlines agenda for healthcare, infrastructure, peace in Wukari/Ibi

By Stanley Onyekwere Tpl. Mukhtar Usman Galadima, has officially...

Citizens Group Applauds NNPC, NUPRC as Reforms Drive $20bn Gas Investments, Boost Oil Production

The Citizens Forum for Energy Accountability and Development (CFEAD)...

Sokoto ADC governorship candidate mourns boat accident victims

From Bashir Rabe Mani in Sokoto The Governorship Candidate of...

Sokoto Boat Accident: Death Toll Rises to 47

From Bashir Rabe Mani in Sokoto Fourty-seven bodies have so...