ONSA debunks El-Rufai’s claim of ransom payments to bandits

Date:

The Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) has dismissed as false the claim by former Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, that the government pays incentives to bandits.

El-Rufai had alleged in a television interview on Sunday that the ONSA coordinates a policy of ransom payments and inducements to criminal groups.

In a statement by Mr Zakari Mijinyawa on Monday in Abuja, ONSA described the allegation as baseless and contrary to facts on the ground.

“At no time has ONSA, or any arm of government under this administration, engaged in ransom payments or inducements to criminals,” he said.

Mijinyawa explained that the government had instead warned citizens against paying ransom, stressing that such actions only embolden criminal elements.

READ MORE  How 76 people died in Kaduna fire incidents

He said the administration adopted a dual strategy of kinetic military operations and community engagement, which had yielded positive results in Kaduna State.

He noted that communities in Igabi, Birnin Gwari and Giwa local government areas, once under siege, were now enjoying relative peace due to sustained military action.

According to him, security forces have eliminated several notorious bandit leaders, including Boderi, Baleri, Sani Yellow Janburos, Buhari and Boka, while leaders of Ansaru who attempted to establish bases in Kaduna had been apprehended.

“These victories were not without sacrifices as some of our gallant officers paid the supreme price,” he said.

READ MORE  Lamido picks Jigawa PDP governorship form

Mijinyawa said it was unfair for a former governor to downplay such sacrifices, and urged political actors to refrain from dragging national security institutions into partisan debates.

“The fight against banditry is a collective struggle, not a platform for political point-scoring,” he added.

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Kwara Central Senator Dumps APC

The Senator representing Kwara Central, Senator Saliu Mustapha has...

2027: PDP candidate, Galadima outlines agenda for healthcare, infrastructure, peace in Wukari/Ibi

By Stanley Onyekwere Tpl. Mukhtar Usman Galadima, has officially...

Citizens Group Applauds NNPC, NUPRC as Reforms Drive $20bn Gas Investments, Boost Oil Production

The Citizens Forum for Energy Accountability and Development (CFEAD)...

Sokoto ADC governorship candidate mourns boat accident victims

From Bashir Rabe Mani in Sokoto The Governorship Candidate of...