APC defends $1bn Lagos ports investment

Date:

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Lagos State says the Federal Government’s $1 billion investment in the Lagos ports is part of a nationwide modernisation blueprint.

The APC Spokesman, Mr Seye Oladejo, in a statement on Tuesday, said this while reacting to opposition parties’ criticism of the project.

Oladejo said that the investment was designed to transform Nigeria into West Africa’s premier maritime hub.

He described as laughable the opposition’s commentary and claim that President Bola Tinubu had neglected Warri, Calabar, Onne, and Port Harcourt ports, concentrating investments in Lagos ports.

Oladejo said: “This reckless statement only exposes, yet again, the opposition’s chronic ignorance of basic economics and governance.

“Their loud opinions are rarely backed by facts, figures, or even a faint understanding of national policy direction.

READ MORE  FG pledges continued support to licensed mining companies

“The Federal Government under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda is not “neglecting” any port.

“It is not a Lagos project – it is a Nigeria project, attracting foreign direct investment from China Harbour Engineering Company and Singapore’s Tolaram Group, both of whom saw in President Tinubu’s vision a business environment worth their billions.”

He said that contrary to the criticisms, the same administration had been executing some projects in One, Calabar, Port Harcourt and Warri Ports.

According to him, President Tinubu’s administration is executing Onne Port modernisation, including equipment upgrade and digitalisation,while also dredging the Calabar Port to increase draft depth and accommodate larger vessels.

He said that work on the rehabilitation of the Port Harcourt Port complex, under a new concessionary framework; and the Warri Port corridor expansion, with new rail link integration to ease inland cargo movement, were ongoing.

READ MORE  Niger govt. seeks residents support for urban devt, policy

“But of course, the opposition wouldn’t know this – they’re too busy tweeting ignorance and recycling talking points from the political dustbin,” he said.

According to him, the $1 billion Lagos Port investment is not “sabotage”; it is economic foresight.

“It is about creating jobs, boosting exports, and ending decades of inefficiency that has made Nigerian ports some of the most expensive in Africa.

“The Lekki Deep Sea Port, Nigeria’s first fully automated port, is already redefining port management, increasing turnaround time, and boosting revenue to government coffers.

“It is the kind of progress that threatens those whose only skill in politics is complaining without contributing,

READ MORE  Senator Bala Na’allah commended over TV, Radio stations in Zuru

“The only sabotage here is the opposition’s attempt to weaponise regional sentiments against national progress,” he said.

He said that Tinubu’s renewed hope remained a national agenda, and not a regional favour, saying “this administration’s commitment is holistic, inclusive, and nationwide.”

Oladejo said that governance is driven by strategy and not sentiments.

He said that Tinubu and the APC remained focused “on building a Nigeria that works – one port, one project, and one policy at a time.”

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Taraba, L-PRES Launch Statewide Artificial Insemination Programme for Cattle

By Godwin Agia, Jalingo The Taraba State Government, in collaboration...

Benue Startup Act to boost youth innovation, investment — BIPC boss

By Uche Nnorom, Makurdi The Group Managing Director of Benue...

Benue Govt Approves N294.5m Counterpart Fund for 2026 Malaria Prevention Campaign

By Uche Nnorom, Makurdi The Benue State Government has...

Only younger men approach me—Venita Akpofure says

Nollywood actress and reality television star Venita Akpofure...