By Jude Opara
The Social Democratic Party (SDP) led by Alhaji Shehu Musa Gabam has distanced itself from reports claiming that it has submitted the name of its presidential candidate for the 2027 general elections to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), saying the information was false and misleading.
In a statement on Monday, Mr Lawal Ibrahim, Special Adviser on Media to Alhaji Gabam, said the SDP was yet to conduct any process for the emergence of its presidential candidate and therefore could not have submitted any name to INEC.
The SDP faction further described as an “illegal gathering” the National Convention in Bauchi, saying it was organised by “desperate politicians” bent on causing confusion and disorder within the party.
According to the statement, “the attention of our great Party, the Social Democratic Party SDP has been drawn to a misleading and fake news suggesting that the Party has submitted the name of its Presidential Candidate in the upcoming 2027 General Election to the Independent National Electoral Commission INEC after a Kangaroo Party National Convention reportedly held in Bauchi State.
“This is false and calculated attempt to mislead our Party members nationwide and the general public at large; the Electoral Act 2026 clearly spells out the procedures for the emergence of party candidates, and no such process had been concluded by the SDP”.
The statement further affirmed that, based on INEC records and a judgment of the Court of Appeal, Abuja Division, Alhaji Shehu Musa Gabam remains the authentic National Chairman of the party.
It added that Gabam was already putting in place the necessary machinery for congresses and a national convention that would eventually produce the party’s presidential candidate for the 2027 polls under the supervision of INEC.
READ MORE  Returning Nigeria to land of peace, prosperity, a task for all, says Atiku

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here