By Abubakar Yunusa

Former governorship candidate in Zamfara State, Dr Sani Abdullahi Shinkafi, has accused the leadership of the All Progressives Congress of imposing senatorial candidates ahead of today’s primaries in the state.

Shinkafi described the development as “political banditry”, alleging that the Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, masterminded the exclusion of aspirants from the exercise.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the APC chieftain claimed that Matawalle arrived Zamfara with some past and serving governors, allegedly carrying directives that all aspirants should step down for serving senators.

He said, “Today, Monday, 18th May 2026, the Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, has murdered democracy and shrunk the chances of the APC winning the general election in Zamfara State.”

READ MORE  Edo, Ondo polls: INEC briefs stakeholders on state of preparedness

Shinkafi alleged that the action contradicted earlier assurances by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the APC National Chairman, Nentawe Yilwatda, that the party would embrace internal democracy and lawful primaries.

According to him, Section 84 of the Electoral Act 2026 clearly provides that political parties must conduct primaries for aspirants seeking elective offices.

He maintained that no meeting or consultation was held before the alleged directive was announced.

“I was never consulted or invited for any meeting on the so-called consensus arrangements. I did not withdraw from the senatorial race and I did not write any letter stepping down,” he said.

The former governorship candidate warned that the APC could suffer a repeat of its 2019 political setback in Zamfara if the alleged imposition of candidates was not reversed.

READ MORE  FCT FA woos corporate sponsors

He recalled that the Supreme Court invalidated APC primaries in the state in 2019 following internal disputes, a decision that eventually cost the party all elective positions won during the general elections.

“History is about to repeat itself with the unlawful exclusion of aspirants for senate,” he warned.

Shinkafi also alleged that political thugs had been mobilised to disrupt the primaries and pave the way for what he called the “affirmation of anointed aspirants”.

He subsequently directed his supporters in Zamfara North Senatorial District to boycott the exercise and remain indoors.

“As a democrat and law-abiding citizen, I will not participate in any electoral process that is not in compliance with the law,” he added.

READ MORE  APC needs chairman who can galvanise party members - Salihu Mustapha

The APC stalwart vowed to challenge his exclusion from the Zamfara North Senatorial Primary in court, insisting that the alleged injustice would not stand.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here