Hajj Commission says transportation of pilgrims on course

Date:

The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) yesterday said transportation of the 2014 intending pilgrims to Saudi Arabia was progressing as planned.

The Director, Media Affairs of the commission, Mr Uba Mana, said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.

Mana said the commission had so far transported 8,861 pilgrims “and hopefully by the end of the day, we would have transported over 10,000 pilgrims to Saudi Arabia’’.

Reacting to the outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD), the director said the situation was not peculiar to Nigeria, saying that it concerned the entire Muslim community.

READ MORE  UK’s FCDO commends Ganduje for sustainable development projects in Kano

He said screening for the virus would continue bearing in mind the contagious nature of the disease

“We have been very thorough in our screening, even as the pilgrims are stepping into the aircraft.

“The moment we discover any symptom, no matter how highly-placed the person may be, he or she will have to disembark,” he said.

He said the commission was doing this to protect the image of the country and the religion of Islam.

Mana said each pilgrim had to go with Ebola certification to authenticate that the person was free of the disease before he or she would be allowed to enter an aircraft. (NAN)

READ MORE  Borno govt sues ex-commissioner, newspaper for libel, demands N2bn

 

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Kogi: KONGONET Demands Urgent Action On Security, Health Workers, Others

  The Kogi NGOs Network (KONGONET) has called on the...

Just In: Tinubu Orders Arrest of Three Perm Secs Over Newly Uncovered Fake Agencies

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of...

Sokoto Boat Mishap: Death Toll Hits 65 as 11 Survivors Are Rescued

From Bashir Rabe Mani, Sokoto The death toll from Thursday’s...

Insecurity: Tambuwal, Dasuki Seek Urgent Attention for Sokoto Communities

By Bashir Rabe Mani, Sokoto Former Sokoto State Governor and...