Absence of INEC witnesses stalls proceedings at Edo governorship tribunal

Date:

By Jude Opara

Proceedings at the Edo State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal sitting in Abuja were stalled yesterday due to the absence of witnesses of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

INEC is listed as the 1st respondent in the suit filed by the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP) and its governorship candidate, Asue Ighodalo, challenging the outcome of the September 21, governorship election in Edo State.

 The commission was billed to open its defence on Wednesday after the petitioners closed their case on Monday.

 At the resumed hearing, counsel to the commission, Abdullahi Aliyu, told the tribunal that the five witnesses listed were still on their way to Abuja from Benin City.

READ MORE  Osun 2022: Ex Deputy Speaker, Lasun to contest Osun guber under Labour Party

 Mr Aliyu, however, tendered three documents before the Wilfred Kpochi-led three member tribunal to show that the commission was interested in opening its case.

 The documents tendered by the electoral body were the certified true copies of the collation of result at the state level (or Form EC8D), the declaration of results and the regulations and guidelines for the conduct of elections, 2022.

 The electoral umpire assured the tribunal that it would need only one day to conclude its case.

 Justice Kpochi faulted INEC’s approach to open its defence, saying that the whole day had been wasted.

 INEC’s counsel prayed the tribunal to grant the adjournment, saying it had been given a 10-day timeline for its defence, adding that it had sufficient time to open and close its case.

READ MORE  INEC declares readiness for Enugu rerun

 On his part, counsel to Mr Ighodalo, Adetunji Oyeyipo, did not object to INEC’s tendering of the document.

 He said that they were the same documents the PDP already tendered to prove its case that the outcome of the Edo State governorship election was flawed.

 The tribunal adjourned until Thursday for the commission to call its witnesses.

 The PDP and its candidate approached the tribunal, praying it to invalidate the outcome of the governorship election on the grounds of alleged non-compliance with the Electoral Act, 2022.

 They further contended that Governor Monday Okpebholo, of the All Progressives Congress, (APC) did not secure the highest number of majority votes cast in the election.

READ MORE  APC inaugurates Badaru-led convention committee

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Alfindiki Fires Back at Tinubu Critics, Points to N7.21tn Northern Projects

Alfindiki Fires Back at Tinubu Critics, Points to N7.21tn...

BudgIT Marks 15th Anniversary, Highlights Citizen Access to Budgets, Commends Anti-Corruption Efforts

The BudgIT Foundation, a leading African civic-tech organisation and...

When Scam Puts On New Clothes

When Scam Puts On New Clothes By Bagudu Mohammed Scam is...

Kaigama, Oritsejafor, Duke, others arrive Taraba for 3-day ministers’ conference

By Godwin Agia, Jalingo The Catholic Archbishop of Abuja, His...