By Abubakar Yunusa

The national leadership of the Accord Party on Monday condemned what it described as a second violent attack on Imole House, the campaign office and party secretariat linked to Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, allegedly carried out by thugs associated with the All Progressives Congress.

The party said the attack occurred on Sunday night in Osogbo, barely two weeks after a similar invasion of the facility.

National Chairman of Accord, Barrister Maxwell Mgbuden, in a statement on Monday, accused the attackers of shooting sporadically at the building and destroying parts of the secretariat.

He alleged that several glass windows and offices were shattered during the attack, including the office of the Osun State Accord Chairman, Victor Akande.

READ MORE  2023: ‘Get sense’, enough of recycling leaders – Peter Psquare tells youths

According to him, the attackers also inscribed the words, “Say No To Automatic Ticket,” on the wall in what he described as an attempt to disguise their mission.

Mgbuden alleged that the latest attack was part of a wider plot to destabilise the state ahead of the August 15, 2026 governorship election.

He said, “After boasting to make Osun ungovernable for Governor Adeleke, these thugs had earlier destroyed Accord and Imole Campaign Council billboards, vandalised public properties and even killed the son of the party’s woman leader in Irewole Local Government Area.”

The Accord chairman expressed disappointment that security agencies allegedly failed to stop the attack despite prior warnings.

READ MORE  SIECs need reforms not transfer to INEC – OGSIEC Chairman

“Security agencies were duly notified of plots by desperate politicians to use thugs to cause mayhem and destabilise the state ahead of the election. The party is shocked that these attacks still happened under their watch,” he said.

The party called on the Inspector-General of Police and the Department of State Services to immediately arrest and prosecute those behind the attack.

It also urged security agencies to provide tighter security around Imole House and other strategic locations across the state.

Mgbuden maintained that politics should remain “a contest of ideas and not violence,” warning against what he termed “garrison politics.”

READ MORE  2019 elections: Cleric urges S/Kaduna people to obtain voter cards

He added that the people of Osun State would resist intimidation and remain committed to supporting Governor Adeleke’s second-term ambition.

“Osun people are ready to vote for continuity and stand with the people’s governor in taking the state to the next level of development and prosperity,” the statement added.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here