Alleged sexual harassment: IGP, AGF exonerated me – UNICAL Prof

Date:

By Vivian Okejeme, Abuja

Suspended Dean of the Faculty of Law, University of Calabar (UNICAL), Prof. Cyril Ndifon, Monday, the Federal High Court, Abuja,that he was exonerated from sexual harassment allegations brought against him.

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC)The ICPC had on January 25, 2024 re-arraigned Ndifon alongside his lawyer, Sunny Anyanwu on four counts on alleged sexual harassment and attempt to perverse the cause of justice.

According to the prosecution,

Prof. Ndifon, while being the Dean of the Faculty Law, UNICAL, requested a female diploma student to send to him her “pornographic, indecent and obscene photographs of herself” to him through Whatsapp chats.

However, when the defendant opened his defence, Monday, he informed Justice James Omotosho that the former Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Solomon Arase and former Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) Abubakar Malami, reviewed his case and said he has “no case to answer”.

Testifying as defence witness one(DW1), Prof. Ndifon informed the court that he used to be the dean until August 14, 2023 when he was accused by the ICPC of sexual harassment and abuse of office, leading to his suspension by the University.

READ MORE  Wike assures safe return of abducted teachers, students

He said officers of the ICPC and the Department of State Services (DSS) arrested him from his house in Calabar on October 4, 2023, saying it is over alleged violation of ICPC act in respect to an incident in 2015.

The professor said, “A student alleged I raped her twice using a condom, and the matter was reported to the police. The case was moved from the 8th division of the police in Calabar to the state headquarters, but at both levels I was exonerated.

“The Nigerian feminist group appealed to the then, IGP Solomon Arase, to look into the matter and he ordered it be moved to Abuja with me inclusive. The matter was transferred to force headquarters, Abuja and it restarted.

“When he couldn’t find anything, he advised that the matter should be sent to the AGF to review what had been done.

“The AGF then reviewed and had said I had no case to answer, but since the offence is a state offence, it should be sent to the AGF of Cross River state.

READ MORE  Tinubu swears-in Christopher Musa as new Defence Minister

“The Cross River state AGF, after the review, reached a conclusion that I had no case to answer before sending it back to the police who wrote to the UNICAL, on 4th August 2016 and copied me, as it was necessary to inform them,” Prof. Ndifon said.

He identified the police report while his counsel, Joe Agi SAN,moved to tender it before the court.

Reacting, counsel to the  ICPC, Osuobeni Akponimisingha, objected to the document but reserved his objection till his final address.

The court proceeded to admit the report as exhibit DWA.

Prof. Ndifon informed the court about a suit he filed at the Federal High Court, Calabar, challenging his arrest and prosecution “the same offense”

He said the then ICPC chairman, Ekpo Nta Hart, had vowed to prosecute him for rape, while speaking during a colloquim, reported by Punch newspaper, prompting him to drag the commission to court.

According to him, the court said they cannot stop a federal agency form investigation, but further informed the court that the case is still pending at the Court of Appeal.

His counsel, Agi tendered the record of the court proceedings and it was admitted as  as exhibit DWB though ICPC’s counsel objected to its tendering.

READ MORE  Troops kill 2 armed robbers in Plateau, recover arms

The professor accused one of the prosecution members, Barr. Adekunle Sogunle who was also part of his initial investigation, of having a personal interest in his case.

“I met him during initial investigation. He is the head of legal unit. I am aware he did not attend University of Calabar, he attended Unijos, he is not a politician, he has not made any donation to UNICAL,” the professor said.

“He was the one who signed the first charge that brought me to court. However, interestingly, he was given an award by the University,” he added.

He informed the court that he misplaced the original copy of the dinner award program with the picture of Mr. Sogunle, but identified the photocopy.

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

N40bn default: Agusto & Co withdraws Geregu power’s ‘A-’ rating

By Abubakar Yunusa   Agusto & Co., a pan-African rating...

NUPRC plans domestic crude, gas swap arrangement

By Abubakar Yunusa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC)...

The Kanem–Bornu Empire II

Contact with Islam (c. 1000–1380)   Islam reached modern-day Chad already...

FCT RUWASSA commissions gender-friendly toilet facility in Kwaita community

By Stanley Onyekwere   The Federal Capital Territory Rural Water...