Araraume faults Tinubu’s appointment of new NNPC board, management

Date:

By ABUBAKAR YUNUSA

Ifeanyi Araraume, a former senator representing Imo north, has faulted President Bola Tinubu over his appointment of a new board and management of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited.
Last week, Tinubu retained Mele Kyari as NNPC’s chief executive officer and appointed Pius Akinyelure as the non-executive board chair.
Former President Buhari had appointed Ararume as board chairman of the national oil firm in September 2021, but he was later sacked and replaced by Margaret Okadigbo in January 2022.
The former senator later went to court and was able to void his removal as NNPC chair.
He was also awarded N5 billion in damages.
In a public notice on Saturday, through Ogwu Onoja, his attorney, Araraume said Tinubu’s appointments are illegal and contravene a subsisting court order.
“We state that the purported appointment amounts to a flagrant disobedience of court order and brazen disregard of the judgment of a court of competent jurisdiction,” the former senator said.
“We are appalled and shocked that the President could brazenly disobey the court judgment by purporting to appoint a new board and management team for NNPC Ltd instead of giving implementation to the said judgment of the Federal High Court delivered by Justice Inyang Ekwo on the 18th of April, 2023.
“It is shocking that rather than obey the valid and extant judgment of the court, the President has taken the laws into his hands to overrule the courts and usurp the jurisdiction of the Court of Appeal before who, the President has filed an appeal which is pending, by taking steps to undermine the judgment by such illegal appointments.
“This singular act of Mr. President unfortunately denotes a wanton disregard for rule of law and a direct affront on the Judiciary.
“With the said judgment still valid and subsisting, it is clear as crystal even to the common man that the appointment of the new Board and Management of the NNPC Ltd by the President on the 27th November, 2023, is illegal, wrongful, null and void and of no legal consequence.
“By this Notice, the general public is therefore warned to beware of those illegal appointments in their own interest.
“The public is urged to avoid having any dealings whatsoever with the new board and management of the NNPC Ltd as anyone who goes ahead to do any business or transactions with them will be doing so at his or her own peril.”
Araraume asked Tinubu to reverse his decision and allow the flow of the rule of law.

READ MORE  NDIC at 30: Prepare for digital banking risks -Osinbajo

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

TODAY'S e-PUBLICATION

Popular

More like this
Related

Sokoto ADC governorship candidate mourns boat accident victims

From Bashir Rabe Mani in Sokoto The Governorship Candidate of...

Sokoto Boat Accident: Death Toll Rises to 47

From Bashir Rabe Mani in Sokoto Fourty-seven bodies have so...

2027: PDP candidate, Galadima outlines agenda for healthcare, infrastructure, peace in Wukari/Ibi

By Stanley Onyekwere Mukhtar Usman Galadima, popularly known as...

Sokoto boat accident: At least 40 bodies recovered

By Reuters Bodies of victims of a boat accident lie in...