Coalition Protests NAFDAC’s Enforcement of Sachet Alcohol Ban

Date:

Members of the Coalition for Nigerian Change Movement on Monday staged a protest against the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) over the commencement of enforcement of a ban on sachet and small PET bottle alcoholic beverages.

The protest, led by Comrade Kelvin Akerele, followed NAFDAC’s decision to begin enforcement of the ban, a move the coalition described as “hasty, anti-people and detrimental to livelihoods” within the wines and spirits sector.

Addressing journalists during the protest, Comrade Akerele accused NAFDAC, under the leadership of its Director-General, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, of disrupting legitimate businesses and undermining contributions of the affected companies to the nation’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

“The decision to ban the production and sale of alcoholic beverages in sachets and small PET bottles is in clear disobedience to the directive issued by the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation on December 15, 2025, and also contradicts the resolutions of the House of Representatives,” Akerele said.

READ MORE  Insecurity: Abuja vulnerable communities to get solar street lights

He recalled that the House of Representatives, following a public hearing with key stakeholders, had restrained NAFDAC from implementing the ban, describing it as anti-people. According to him, the agency instead relied on a later Senate resolution which, he said, did not adequately accommodate the views of all stakeholders.

The coalition noted that the conflicting directives from different arms of government have thrown operators in the sector into confusion, raising concerns about regulatory certainty and policy consistency.

Akerele argued that sachet and PET bottle alcoholic beverages were introduced to serve adult consumers with limited purchasing power, stressing that the ban would deny such consumers their right of choice.

READ MORE  2 mechanics docked for theft

He also dismissed claims that sachet alcohol encourages abuse, stating that smaller portions discourage excessive consumption and that locally produced sachet alcohol is manufactured under hygienic conditions and duly certified by regulatory agencies, including NAFDAC.

He further stated that allegations of underage abuse used to justify the ban had been contradicted by independent empirical research, adding that industry operators have invested over ₦1 billion in nationwide campaigns promoting responsible alcohol consumption and discouraging underage use.

“The coalition supports pragmatic measures to eliminate unsafe products from the market, but such decisions must be guided by empirical evidence, not emotional appeals,” he said.

According to the coalition, the ban threatens thousands of jobs across the value chain and could open the market to illicit, sub-standard and smuggled products, while also reducing government revenue from legitimate manufacturers.

READ MORE  Insecurity: Bala’s Aide seeks residents’ support

The protesters therefore called on the Federal Government to intervene and direct NAFDAC to immediately halt the enforcement of the ban, warning that continued implementation could lead to factory closures and widespread job losses.

They also appealed to the National Assembly, particularly the Senate, to reconsider the matter through broader consultations with stakeholders in the interest of economic stability and social welfare.

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

NUPRC CEO alerts on skills gap due to drop in offshore investments

The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) says the...

Arsenal begin new Premier League season with emphatic 3-0 win over Coventry 

Arsenal begin new Premier League season with emphatic 3-0...

Kogi: KONGONET Demands Urgent Action On Security, Health Workers, Others

  The Kogi NGOs Network (KONGONET) has called on the...

Just In: Tinubu Orders Arrest of Three Perm Secs Over Newly Uncovered Fake Agencies

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of...