Dozens killed as military strikes Boko Haram base in Lake Chad

Date:

Breaking News! Soldiers battle Boko Haram in MaiduguriFrom Mustapha Isah Kwaru, Maiduguri with agency report.

Dozens of militants were reportedly killed when Nigerian fighter jets yesterday afternoon bombed a major Boko Haram base near Lake Chad, eyewitnesses have said.

“Nigerian Air Force fighter jets are currently hitting Wulgo village, which is on the banks of Lake Chad. The strategy is to flush them from the area,” a military officer privy to the operation told Anadolu Agency, on condition of anonymity.

“The militants were found attacking nearby towns and settlements from Wulgo, where they have a fortress,” he said.

Sa’idu Batagarawa, a Fulani herdsman in the area, said the military had warned local residents ahead of the aerial operation.

READ MORE  Buhari authorizes National Cemetery as Kutigi’s burial site

“Boko Haram had long stationed themselves in Wulgo and other villages near Fotokol in neighboring Cameroon,” Batagarawa, who spoke in the local Fulfude dialect, told AA by phone.

“It appears to be their launch base, but the soldiers are now smoking them out,” he added.

Batagarawa suggested that up to 45 insurgents had been killed in the bombardments.

“They are trying to escape. We are aware that they have a tunnel through which they escape,” he said. “But we exposed this to the troops long ago.”

Militants are known to launch attacks from border communities and then escape through waterways in the area – a strategy that is now being thwarted by deepening regional cooperation between Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon and Niger.

READ MORE  NOTAP’s N280b savings excites minister

Following a meeting in Nigerien capital Niamey on Tuesday, the leaders of Niger, Nigeria, Chad, Benin and Cameroon agreed to form a “joint force” to combat Boko Haram.

In May, the five countries agreed to deploy a joint force composed of some 700 troops as part of a wider strategy for combating the militant group.

Boko Haram, which means “Western education is forbidden” in Nigeria’s local Hausa language, first emerged in the early 2000s preaching against government misrule and corruption.

It later became violent, however, after the death of its leader in 2009 while in police custody.

In the five years since, the shadowy sect has been blamed for numerous attacks – on places of worship and government institutions – and thousands of deaths in Nigeria.

READ MORE  Kaduna Govt. bans child fostering, adoption

The group has also been blamed for several earlier cross-border attacks in Cameroon.

 

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Improved Security Driving Kaduna’s Growth Surge — Sule Shu’aibu, SAN

Kaduna State's decisive security gains are translating into economic...

Re: Northern Security Trust Fund: ₦1bn is a beginning, not the solution

Re: Northern Security Trust Fund: ₦1bn is a beginning,...

Sokoto PWA Announces ₦7.67m Final Fare for 2027 Hajj

Sokoto PWA Announces ₦7.67m Final Fare for 2027 Hajj From...

NDLEA destroys N301bn cocaine, heroin, other illicit drugs in Lagos

NDLEA destroys N301bn cocaine, heroin, other illicit drugs in...