Flood: Kaduna steps up dredging, targets flood-free season

Date:

From  Femi Oyelola in  Kaduna

Kaduna State Government has launched a massive dredging and expansion of waterways in flood-prone areas, determined to avert the kind of devastation that crippled parts of the state last year.

This followed early warnings by the Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMet), which listed Kaduna among states likely to witness heavy downpours, flash floods, and windstorms this rainy season.

During an inspection of ongoing dredging at Ifira, along the Kaduna International Airport road in Igabi Local Government, Commissioner for Environment, Alhaji Abubakar Buba, said the government had mapped out vulnerable spots for urgent intervention.

According to him, “This entire place was blocked before, but we have now opened up about 800 metres of the river. It will ease water flow and forestall disasters like we saw last year,” Buba said.

READ MORE  Ex-Army Chief, Dambazau to lead national security review at JFCN 7th annual lecture

“This road is a major route to the Kaduna International Airport. We cannot afford any disruption.”

The Commissioner assured residents of the government’s commitment to achieving a flood-free season, but warned them against turning drainages into dump sites.

He disclosed that a mobile court under the Kaduna Environmental Protection Authority (KEPA) had been set up to try offenders caught dumping refuse into waterways.

The dredging, he noted, is being jointly supervised by the Ministry of Environment, Agro-Climatic Resilience in Semi-Arid Landscapes (ACReSAL), National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), State Emergency Management Agency (KADSEMA), National Orientation Agency (NOA,) and other stakeholders.

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

READ MORE  Asari-Dokubo lauds Benin Republic’s biz policies at historic Presidential handover

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Kefas Declares War on Climate Threats, Orders LGAs, Citizens to Act

By Godwin Agia, Taraba Taraba State Governor, Dr Agbu Kefas,...

100 Days in Captivity: Borno Families Cry Out, Demand Urgent Rescue of Abducted Children

Families of abducted schoolchildren and other victims in Borno...

INEC fixes September 19 for Bauchi assembly by-elections

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has fixed Saturday,...

2027: My job is to give opposition hypertension—Wike

Federal Capital Territory FCT minister, Nyesom Wike, has declared...