Gervinho gets 2-match ban for striking Guinea defender

Date:

Ivory Coast forward Gervinho has been given a two-match ban following his sending off against Guinea in the sides’ 1-1 draw on Tuesday.

Ivory Coast forward Gervinho has said sorry after his red card for striking Guinea defender Naby Keita in the sides’ 1-1 draw.

“I want to apologise to the Ivory Coast nation, my team-mates, the fans and the African Nations Cup organisers for this gesture of anger,” he wrote on Twitter.

“It is not like me and it does not have its place on a football pitch.”

A red card carries a mandatory one-match ban but the Confederation of African Football may extend it.

READ MORE  Tinubu’s cost-cutting measures deceitful, mere window dressing, says Timi Frank

Usually, a dismissal for violent conduct receives at least a two-match ban at the Nations Cup but it can be as high as four if the disciplinary committee feels it deserves a more severe sanction.

Former Arsenal forward Gervinho appeared to slap Keita in the 58th minute of the Group D match in Malabo in a off-the-ball incident,

Ivory Coast were a goal down at the time but fought back to earn a draw despite their numerical disadvantage.

The 27-year-old Gervinho had been his side’s best player in the match and he would be a big loss should he be suspended for the Elephants’ two remaining group games, against Mali on Saturday and Cameroon on the 28th.

READ MORE  Reps probe Crypto Regulations, POS operators

 

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Kwara-SAPZ project: empowering youths with job creation, entrepreneurship skills

The Kwara State Government, through the State Special Agro-Industrial...

Kwara unveils EmONC assessment report, reaffirms commitment to safer motherhood

The Kwara State Government has unveiled Emergency Obstetric and...

Komaiya’s Message Deliberately Distorted – Precious Adugbo Demands End to the False Narrative

Precious Adugbo has forcefully condemned the wave of misleading...

Adebayo mourns Goronyo boat mishap’s victims, promises end to tragedy 

The presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP),...