Hijab discrimination not part of JAMB examination protocol – Official

Date:

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says an alleged hijab discrimination incident reported at Esther Oshikoya Computer-Based Test (CBT) Centre, Ibadan, was not part of its official examination protocol.
The board made the clarification in a statement issued in Abuja on Thursday by its Public Communication Adviser (PCA), Fabian Benjamin.
Benjamin said JAMB’s attention wss drawn to the incident through its monitoring mechanisms during the screening exercise for the first session of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
He explained that the board immediately intervened after observing the development and called the ad hoc official involved to order.
He added that the board directed the official that no candidate wearing a hijab should be compelled to remove or alter it during screening.
The spokesperson emphasised that the action was neither perpetrated by the CBT centre nor sanctioned by JAMB.
He attributed the incident to an overzealous ad hoc staff member who failed to comply with the board’s established guidelines on candidates’ religious attire.
Benjamin reaffirmed that JAMB respects the religious beliefs and cultural practices of all Nigerians, noting that the situation had been promptly addressed.
“The Board respects the religious beliefs and customs of all Nigerians and has addressed the situation promptly and appropriately.
“We assure all candidates, regardless of faith, that their rights to religious expression including dressing remain a cornerstone of our policy,” he said.
He assured candidates across the country that their rights to religious expression, including approved modes of dressing, remained protected under the board’s policy framework.
“For the avoidance of doubt, all ad hoc personnel have been further briefed and reminded of the approved procedures guiding candidates’ screening at all centres,” he said.
The board reiterated its commitment to ensuring a fair, inclusive and hitch-free conduct of the ongoing UTME nationwide. (NAN)

READ MORE  Kebbi Govt Pays Over N16 Billion Retirement, Death Benefits 

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

We’re saving future of Nigerians, not foolish, Ogun NDLEA Commander replies Sowore

The Ogun State Commander of the National Drugs Law...

Tinubu Orders National Threat Assessment, Strategic Defence Plan 

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has approved the immediate preparation...

MAN Urges Kano Govt to Fast-Track Electricity Reform, Tax Harmonisation

By Augustine Aminu The Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN),...

States Well Funded Under Tinubu, Says Gov. Aliyu

From Bashir Rabe Mani in Sokoto Sokoto State Governor, Ahmed...