How we forced Ortom to halt Ukpute, Bonta killings -Media group

Date:

Samuel Ortom

By Egena Sunday Ode

But for the alarm raised by media practitioners of Igede extraction, the communal war between Ukpute and Bonta in Oju and Konshisha Local Government Areas, respectively, would have continued unabated.
This was the assertion of a pressure group under the aegis of Association of Igede Media Professionals (AIMPs).
The media practitioners said their press statement of Tuesday, June 30 which went viral was what forced Governor Samuel Ortom to hurriedly convene a peace meeting the next day where a truce was reached by the warring communities.
In the Tuesday statement, the group alleged that the governor and the security agencies in the state had failed to make concerted effort to quell the communal clash that had been raging for days.
“Prior to our intervention, the attitude of the Benue state government and security agencies in the state to the conflict which had claimed scores of lives and property was lukewarm, if not outrightly indifferent,” the association said in a statement signed by its President, Egena Sunday Ode, and released on Thursday.
Recall that the Benue State Police Command had denied any knowledge of the communal clash last week, more than three days into the senseless attacks with glaring attendant deaths and wanton destruction of property.
Spokesperson of the Command, Catherine Anene, had told a Makurdi-based correspondent of a national daily last week that the clash was a mere threat which, according to her, the police had settled.
“There was no crisis, no fight, there was only a threat but the police came to dialogue with them, so no one died because there was no fight,” she was quoted by the correspondent to have said.
The media group, however, insisted that without it’s intervention, the authorities in Makurdi would have continued to pretend that all was well while more lives and property would have been destroyed.
AIMPs said though their noble and good-spirited intervention had been misconstrued in government quarters, leading to the haulage of unprintable invectives at the group. “It is the price we have to pay for the dignity of our people. No sacrifice, therefore, will be considered too much on our part”, the group said.

READ MORE  Senate mourns ex-IGP Arase, wants FG to immortalise him

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

TODAY'S e-PUBLICATION

Popular

More like this
Related

Zulum Hosts 4th UN Meeting, Seeks Stronger Investment in Borno’s Recovery

  Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has called...

Gov. Kefas Seeks Stronger Church-Government Partnership to Tackle Societal Vices

By Godwin Agia, Jalingo Taraba State Governor, Dr. Agbu Kefas,...

Taraba Startup Fund: Our Goal Is to Make Youths Job Creators, Not Job Seekers — Kefas

By Godwin Agia, Jalingo Taraba State Governor, Dr Agbu Kefas,...

Military, Zamfara Journalists Strengthen Partnership Against Terrorism

From Ibrahim Sidi Muh'd, Gusau The Theatre Commander, Joint Task...