Lugbe residents flout movement ban amid FCT polls

Date:

From Abubakar Yunusa, Abuja

Despite the restriction of movement declared for Saturday’s Federal Capital Territory Area Council elections, compliance was only partial in Lugbe, Abuja, as many residents ignored the order and went about their normal activities.

Our correspondent observed that while major markets such as Lugbe Market and AMAC Market were under lock and key, several smaller businesses operated freely.

Barbing salons, vulcanisers and fruit sellers attended to customers without interruption, as commercial motorcyclists, tricycle operators and private car owners plied the roads unchallenged.

There was no visible security presence enforcing the restriction across major roads and inner streets in the area.

READ MORE  PDP ready to reclaim Kaduna in 2027, says State Chair, Masha

Some residents who spoke with our correspondent expressed scepticism about the electoral process, saying they doubted their votes would count.

A barbing salon manager, who identified himself simply as Samuel, said he had directed his workers to resume duty.

“I’ve asked my workers to resume, as our votes won’t count. The winners have been known already. So what’s the point in depriving us of making our daily bread?” he asked.

Others cited economic hardship as reason for defying the directive, noting that closing shop for a full day would worsen their financial strain.

However, Kehinde Balogun, a commercial driver plying the Jabi–Wuse Market route, said he intended to use the curfew period to rest and spend time with his family.

READ MORE  National Convention: Anyanwu’s signature not forged - PDP

Although the gates of AMAC Market were shut, some traders were seen relocating perishable goods, including meat, tomatoes and fresh pepper, to areas outside the market premises to continue sales.

Scores of Point of Sale operators also operated openly along major roads and within residential neighbourhoods, providing cash withdrawals and other financial services.

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, had earlier announced restriction of movement from 8pm on Friday to 6pm on Saturday across the six area councils to ensure a smooth conduct of the elections.

As of the time of filing this report, compliance remained uneven, raising concerns over enforcement of the directive in parts of the capital city.

READ MORE  Dapchi: Amnesty International report vindicates us, says PDP

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Osun poll: KDI flags vote buying, BVAS failures, violence

The Kimpact Development Initiative(KDI )has raised concerns over vote...

Kano Govt Explores Circular Economy Approach to Improve Solid Waste Management

From Mustapha Adamu, Kano The Kano State Government is exploring...

Sokoto Boat Mishap: Shagari, Tambuwal, Gorau, Others Condole Victims’ Families as Search Resumes

From Bashir Rabe Mani, Sokoto Prominent leaders have expressed condolences...

2027 Election: FCT Original Inhabitants Prepare Charter of Demands for Political Candidates

As preparations for the 2027 general elections gather momentum...