NCCSALW seizes, destroys 16,000 illicit arms in 4 Years– DG

Date:

NCCSALW seizes, destroys 16,000 illicit arms in 4 Years– DG

The National Centre for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons (NCCSALW) says it has seized and destroyed 16,000 illicit arms and light weapons across Nigeria in the past four years.

 

The Director-General of the Centre, DIG Johnson Kokumo (rtd), disclosed this during an administrative and operational visit to the agency’s North-West Zonal Office in Kaduna on Tuesday.

 

Kokumo said the visit was to assess the effectiveness of the Centre’s regional structure and the execution of its operational mandate.

 

He said that the proliferation of small arms and light weapons remain a major driver of banditry, insurgency and other violent crimes in the region, assuring that the Centre is committed to eliminating such illegal arms through intelligence-driven operations and collaboration with security and law enforcement agencies.

READ MORE  Coalition condemns looting in Kaduna

 

According to Kokumo, the successes recorded so far by the centre reflect the impact of joint efforts in addressing the menace of illicit arms proliferation.

 

The North-West Zonal Office of the Centre covers Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Jigawa, Sokoto, Kebbi and Zamfara states.

 

In his remarks, the Zonal Director, Commodore Jibril Mukhtar (rtd), described the visit as a morale booster for personnel and a demonstration of the leadership’s commitment to field operations.

 

Mukhtar said the region had recorded relative calm in recent times, attributing the development partly to the recovery and destruction of illegal arms.

 

He assured that the command would continue to uphold professionalism and align with the Centre’s objectives.

READ MORE  Niger Gov grants pardon to 46 inmates

 

As part of the tour, Kokumo visited the Kaduna State Ministry of Internal Security and Home Affairs, where he held talks with officials on strengthening inter-agency collaboration and intelligence sharing.

 

The Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Muhammad Bashir, who received Kokumo, reaffirmed the Kaduna government commitment to supporting federal initiatives aimed at controlling the spread of illicit arms.

 

He emphasised the need for intelligence sharing, community engagement and institutional collaboration to achieve sustainable security.

 

Kokumo also visited the Nigerian Air Force Air Training Command, Kaduna, where he highlighted the importance of military synergy in tackling illicit arms proliferation.

READ MORE  ARDS tasks agro-food coys on environmental-friendly packaging materials

 

He also inspected the ongoing construction of a permanent North-West Zonal Office, which he said would enhance operational efficiency, coordination, and rapid response in the region

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Youth Day 2026: Waterlight Save Initiative Hosts Global Youth Forum, Empowers Participants

The Waterlight Save Initiative has hosted the 2026 i-HEAL...

SPEAKER TAJUDEEN ABBAS AND THE DOCTRINE OF PEOPLE-FIRST LEADERSHIP

By Abdulkadir Bello I can't afford not to join millions...

2027 polls: Obi described as ‘candidate of conscience’, as campaigns begin

By Jude Opara As campaigns for the 2027 general...

As campaigns for 2027 elections begin today: Election not do-or-die contest, Tinubu declares

• Urges political actors to shun divisive sentiments • President,...