By Jude Opara, Abuja
The presidential candidate of Labour Party in the 2023 election, Peter Obi has cautioned the Federal Government to stop contemplating the purchase of some new aircraft to add to the existing Presidential fleets.
Obi in a statement issued by his spokesman, Dr. Yunisa Tanko on Monday described the move as unacceptable and a clear show of insensitivity to the plight of the Nigerian people.
The former governor of Anambra state who was quoted to have written on his X handle on Monday said; “At a time when our country is on the front page of global newspapers for facing its worst economic crisis, marked by high inflation, a falling currency, and widespread poverty, the government is contemplating buying new presidential jets.
This, he said, demonstrates extreme insensitivity to citizens’ struggles.
“With rising insecurity, poverty, hunger, and homelessness, this decision highlights the disconnect that is apparent between the government and the people.
“It is unacceptable as the situation in the country today more than ever demands a more compassionate use of resources, prioritizing citizens’ welfare.
“It’s on record that our presidential jets have an average age of 12 years, purchased when most Nigerians could afford necessities. Now, as our country faces significant challenges, including a high debt profile, our citizens are in even greater need. Instead of adding to our luxuries, we should be focused on alleviating their suffering and finding solutions to their problems.
“For long, our bad leadership has made our priorities, as leaders, to be at variance to the needs of society, which is why we are headed now south, as a nation.
“To elucidate further, despite dropping down to the fourth-largest economy in Africa, with a GDP of $252 billion and a per capita income of $1,080, with huge debt burdens and borrowing to service debts, yet, we are spending $15 million for our Vice President’s residence, while the USA, the world’s largest economy with a GDP of $25 trillion, about 100 times our GDP, and a per capita income of $80,000, about 80 times ours, still houses their Vice President in Number 1 Observatory Circle, a house built over 100 years ago, and whose value is less than the $15 million we are spending on our VP’s residence.
“A reputable real estate company reports that the US Vice President’s Official Residence is valued at about $7.5 million today.
“While we had earlier refurbished the old VP residence with $2 million, the over 100-year-old US Vice President’s house has only undergone wide-scale renovations twice, funded by taxpayers’ money; in 1993 and 2021. Every new US VP is free to finance any minor refurbishing from his funds.
“It’s, therefore, time to stop this impunity, insensitivity, and shamelessness and refocus on the needs of our people.
“We must prioritize education, healthcare, and lifting our citizens out of poverty. Let us work together to build a nation that truly serves its people, not just the interests of a few”.
Obi therefore called on all Nigerians to rise to the challenge, and help in building a new Nigeria which he said is very possible.
Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

