Neymar: Brazil forward faces call for five-year prison term over transfer to Barcelona

Date:

A Brazilian investment firm has called for Neymar to face a five-year prison sentence when he stands trial next week on fraud and corruption charges relating to his transfer to Barcelona from Santos in 2013.

DIS, which owned 40% of the rights to the Brazil forward at the time, argues it lost out because the transfer fee was undervalued.

Neymar, 30, has denied the allegations but lost an appeal in Spain’s High Court in 2017, leading to the trial being brought by Spanish prosecutors.

The Paris St-Germain player will have to appear in-person for the first day of the trail in Barcelona on Monday, the court said, but it is unclear if he will be asked to stay for the entire hearing that could last two weeks.

READ MORE  Super Falcons will win the World Cup for Nigeria – President Buhari

The other defendants are Neymar’s parents, the two clubs, former Barcelona presidents Josep Maria Bartomeu and Sandro Rosell, and former Santos president Odilio Rodrigues.

Rosell has also previously denied any wrongdoing.

In a statement, Backer McKenzie, the lawyers representing the Neymar family, claimed that Spanish courts “lack jurisdiction to prosecute the Neymar family and their company N&N” because the acts were committed by Brazilian nationals outside Spanish territory.

They also point out that the alleged crimes are not punishable in Brazil.

DIS acquired a percentage of Neymar’s rights when he was 17, in exchange for 2m euros.

Barcelona said at the time of Neymar’s move that the transfer fee was 57.1m euros, of which 40m euros was paid to his family.

READ MORE  Tokyo 2020 Olympics: Team Nigeria to camp in Kisarazu City Japan

The investment firm received a 40% share of the remaining 17.1m euros that was paid to Brazilian club Santos.

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Why Chawinga won the WAFOCN 2026 Golden Boot ahead of Banda, Manga

By Amaechi Agbo   Five goals were enough to put Malawi’s...

Sevilla declares Ejuke Surplus to requirements

By Amaechi Agbo Spanish giants, Sevilla FC has informed Super...

Osun 2026: Nigeria’s Laboratory for 2027

Guest Columnist By Bagudu Mohammed   Osun has spoken, and...

AWALCO Nominates NUJ FCT Chair Grace Ike for November Award

The Association of West African Legislative Correspondents (AWALCO) has...