NMA caucus protests disqualification of candidates ahead of Kano polls

Date:

By Abubakar Yunusa

Some members of the Nigerian Medical Association(NMA ),have raised concerns over the disqualification of six aspirants from the association’s forthcoming national elections scheduled to hold in Kano.

The aggrieved members, who addressed journalists in Abuja on Wednesday, questioned the decision of the National Officers Committee overseeing the screening process, describing it as inconsistent with the association’s constitutional provisions.

A presidential aspirant, Prof. Ofem Enang, said the development had stirred unease among members nationwide. He explained that the affected candidates were disqualified over issues relating to the submission of nomination documents.

According to him, the interpretation of requirements by the screening committee led to the decision.

READ MORE  I will never return to PDP - Obasanjo vows

“Based on our understanding of the instruction, we submitted the required passport photographs alongside a copy of our curriculum vitae. However, this was later interpreted differently, leading to our disqualification,” he said.

Enang added that the candidates were not given an opportunity to address the concerns raised during the screening process.

Also speaking, Dr Isah Mohammed, who is contesting for the office of First Vice-President, noted that all affected aspirants had been cleared by the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.

He, however, questioned why similar opportunities given to other candidates to resolve documentation issues were not extended to those disqualified.

READ MORE  President-elect Tinubu returns home, says “I’m ready for the task ahead”

“There should be consistency in the process. Where clarifications were needed, equal opportunity ought to have been provided to all candidates,” he said.

Another aspirant, Dr Oluwajimi Sodipo, expressed concern that the situation could create divisions within the association if not properly addressed.

Similarly, Dr Baoku Olusola, who spoke on behalf of a caucus within the association, emphasised the need for adherence to constitutional guidelines in all electoral processes.

Other members, including state and national officers of the association, also urged the leadership to ensure transparency and fairness as preparations for the election continue.

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

READ MORE  Kaduna Agency seals off illegal Gas cylinders refurbishment factory

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Kwara-SAPZ project: empowering youths with job creation, entrepreneurship skills

The Kwara State Government, through the State Special Agro-Industrial...

Kwara unveils EmONC assessment report, reaffirms commitment to safer motherhood

The Kwara State Government has unveiled Emergency Obstetric and...

Komaiya’s Message Deliberately Distorted – Precious Adugbo Demands End to the False Narrative

Precious Adugbo has forcefully condemned the wave of misleading...

Adebayo mourns Goronyo boat mishap’s victims, promises end to tragedy 

The presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP),...