Ondo guber: APC, PDP, 16 others sign peace accord

Date:

 

*As Abdusalami harps on need to uphold Democratic tenets

 

By Folorunso Alagbede, Abuja

 

As the Saturday, November 16 governorship election in Ondo State draws nearer, eighteen political parties and their candidate have signed a peace accord, pledging to promote a peaceful conduct of the poll before, during and after.

By the signing of the piece accord, the parties as well as their candidates have agreed to accept the outcome of the election, if conducted in a free, fair and transparent atmosphere.

Former Head of State and Chairman of the National Peace Accord, NPC, General Abdulsalam Abubakar, rtd, who presided over the signing of the peace accord on Friday in Akure, the state capital, urged candidates and parties to uphold democratic tenets and reject vote trading.

READ MORE  JTF kills 50 insurgents in Jigawa

Abubakar harped on the importance of maintaining the prevailing peaceful atmosphere in the country.

In a goodwill message, the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Professor Mahmood Yakubu noted that no security incidents have been reported so far.

Yakubu expressed optimism about continued peace and promised improved logistics on election day, encouraging parties to commit to the signed agreement.

The INEC Chairman said, “I will not be tired of appealing to political parties and candidates to note that your signatures on the Peace Accord document alone will not guarantee a peaceful election. The Peace Accord is not an automated, self-activating document.

READ MORE  Police yet to learn lessons from #EndSARS protests - Delta Judicial Panel

“Your commitment to its implementation is critical. Therefore, as you sign the Peace Accord, you should commit yourselves to its implementation and pass the message to your supporters at all levels for compliance.

“As I said repeatedly, this is the best way to honour the effort and sacrifice of the Chairman and members of the NPC to peaceful elections in Nigeria”, he stressed.

The Inspector General of the Nigeria Police Force, represented by AIG Sylvester Abiodun, assured of readiness for the elections, deploying over 36,000 officers to secure all 18 local government areas.

This effort, he said, will be complimented by officers from other security agencies, totaling 43,157 personnel.

READ MORE  UNICEF promises more intervention for Yobe education sector

Ondo State Governor, Mr Lucky Ayedatiwa commended the National Peace Committee’s efforts and pledged to uphold democracy and the peace accord.

Ayedatiwa expressed hope that the peaceful atmosphere can be sustained during and after the elections, urging other parties to follow suit.

This peace accord is a crucial step towards ensuring a peaceful electoral process in Nigeria, building on previous successes in reducing election violence.

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Kwara-SAPZ project: empowering youths with job creation, entrepreneurship skills

The Kwara State Government, through the State Special Agro-Industrial...

Kwara unveils EmONC assessment report, reaffirms commitment to safer motherhood

The Kwara State Government has unveiled Emergency Obstetric and...

Komaiya’s Message Deliberately Distorted – Precious Adugbo Demands End to the False Narrative

Precious Adugbo has forcefully condemned the wave of misleading...

Adebayo mourns Goronyo boat mishap’s victims, promises end to tragedy 

The presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP),...