Ronaldo: Police investigating after Manchester United forward appears to break fan’s phone

Date:

Merseyside Police are investigating an alleged assault after Manchester United forward Cristiano Ronaldo appeared to break a fan’s phone.

Footage was shared on social media alongside comments claiming he smashed the device as he left the pitch after his side’s 1-0 loss at Everton.

Ronaldo, 37, later apologised on social media.

Merseyside Police said they were investigating “reports of an alleged assault” at Goodison Park on Saturday.

A spokesperson said they were liaising with both Manchester United and Everton.

“As players were leaving the pitch at 2.30pm, it was reported that a boy was assaulted by one of the away team as they left the pitch,” they added.

READ MORE  Fosla FC sympathises with FC Ifeanyi Ubah over attack

“Inquiries are under way and officers are currently working with Everton to review CCTV footage and are carrying out extensive witness enquiries to establish if an offence has taken place.

“Anyone with information on this incident is asked to contact Merseyside Police social media desk via Twitter MerPolCC or Facebook Merseyside Police contact centre quoting reference number 228 of 9 April 2022.”

Manchester United said they were aware of “an alleged incident” and would “co-operate with any police inquiries”.

The result damaged United’s hopes of qualifying for the Champions League and came against an Everton side who had been one point above the relegation zone before kick-off.

READ MORE  Premier League Assist Kings: Which Africans have the most PL assists?

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

AWALCO Nominates NUJ FCT Chair Grace Ike for November Award

The Association of West African Legislative Correspondents (AWALCO) has...

Improved Security Driving Kaduna’s Growth Surge — Sule Shu’aibu, SAN

Kaduna State's decisive security gains are translating into economic...

Re: Northern Security Trust Fund: ₦1bn is a beginning, not the solution

Re: Northern Security Trust Fund: ₦1bn is a beginning,...

Sokoto PWA Announces ₦7.67m Final Fare for 2027 Hajj

Sokoto PWA Announces ₦7.67m Final Fare for 2027 Hajj From...