Second Niger Bridge: 44.6% early works completed -Official

Date:

Innocent Alumonah, Federal Controller of Works in Anambra, says a part of the project work at the Second Niger Bridge linking Asaba in Delta and Onitsha in Anambra is already 44.6 per cent completed.
Mr Alumonah told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday that the contracting firm, Julius Berger Nig. Plc. had also accomplished about 85 piles of 914 millimeter in diameter in different axis.
“The contract was split into phases. Phases 1 to phase 3 have been successfully accomplished and we are now on early works in phase 4.
Part of this early works phase 4 forms part of the main contract.
“So far, the 1.2 kilometer sand filling of the road at the Asaba end has reached the height of 2.2 meters out of the expected five meters.
“At the Onitsha end, we have done a lot of sand filling of embankments to a reasonable stage. We have done a lot of culverts as well.
“In all, we have achieved around 44.6 per cent of phase of early work stage 4,” Mr Alumonah said.
He said the contract for the early work stage four was awarded in October 2016 while work commenced in November 2017.
According to him, an advance payment of N2.166 billion was made to the contractor out of the contract sum of N14.466 billion for the early work phase four.
Alumonah said the early work stage four project had a life span of nine months starting from November 2017 to July 2018, noting that there would not be any interruption between stage four and the main contract.
He said the second Niger Bridge was no longer a political issue as President Muhammadu Buhari had demonstrated commitment to realizing the completion of the project.(NAN)

READ MORE  KNSG rubbishes alleged diversion of N6.5 billion

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Youth Day 2026: Waterlight Save Initiative Hosts Global Youth Forum, Empowers Participants

The Waterlight Save Initiative has hosted the 2026 i-HEAL...

SPEAKER TAJUDEEN ABBAS AND THE DOCTRINE OF PEOPLE-FIRST LEADERSHIP

By Abdulkadir Bello I can't afford not to join millions...

2027 polls: Obi described as ‘candidate of conscience’, as campaigns begin

By Jude Opara As campaigns for the 2027 general...

As campaigns for 2027 elections begin today: Election not do-or-die contest, Tinubu declares

• Urges political actors to shun divisive sentiments • President,...