Trump thanks FIFA for overturning Balogun’s USA match suspension

Date:

President Donald Trump on Sunday thanked FIFA for suspending Folarin Balogun’s one-match ban and allowing the US striker to play in the World Cup co-hosts’ last-16 showdown against Belgium.

Balogun had been set to miss Monday’s match after being shown a straight red card following a VAR review for stepping on the foot of a Bosnian defender in a last-32 clash that the US won 2-0.

Under FIFA rules, a straight red card automatically triggers a one-game ban, which cannot be appealed by the player’s team.

But football governing body FIFA said Sunday the ban will now be suspended for a year, in a surprise move for which no specific explanation was offered.

READ MORE  Pinnick congratulates Samuel Chukwueze over Europa cup victory

“Thank you to FIFA for doing what was right, and reversing a great injustice!” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.

FIFA’s decision was immediately slammed by Belgian football officials, who released a statement saying they are “astonished” by a move that is a “direct contradiction” with FIFA’s own World Cup 2026 regulations.

The Royal Belgian Football Association is “investigating all potential options” to “safeguard the legitimate rights of all participating teams and to protect the fundamental principles of fair play in our sport,” it said.

Balogun has been key to the USA’s progress in the tournament, and his absence against Belgium would have been a blow to the team in the game in Seattle.

READ MORE  Dollar rain as NSC DG Bukola Olopade motivates Nigerian Weightlifters in Mauritius

He has netted three times for the US this World Cup, including his brace in the opener against Paraguay.

US coach Mauricio Pochettino said Balogun should “never” have received a red card for the incident, insisting his player had simply been “fighting for the ball” and the contact was not intentional.

Pochettino said at the time it “should be fair” to appeal the decision.

But after being informed a FIFA spokesman had said the ban could not be appealed, the US coach had appeared to accept he would have to consider “different options” to lead his team’s attack against Belgium.

Balogun himself told reporters on Friday the red card ban was “something I have to just accept” and that he was focused on simply supporting his teammates from the stands.

READ MORE  NSF: Borno, Gombe, others hit Yobe for zonal elimination

The decision to suspend the ban was taken by FIFA’s disciplinary committee.

FIFA’s decision came after US Secretary of State Marco Rubio had called for the card to be rescinded.

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

100 Days in Captivity: Borno Families Cry Out, Demand Urgent Rescue of Abducted Children

Families of abducted schoolchildren and other victims in Borno...

INEC fixes September 19 for Bauchi assembly by-elections

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has fixed Saturday,...

2027: My job is to give opposition hypertension—Wike

Federal Capital Territory FCT minister, Nyesom Wike, has declared...

Top 5 best cities to enjoy a vacation in Africa

Africa offers an impressive mix of beaches, wildlife, history,...