Zulum visits Uba 4 days after abduction of 48 pupils

 

Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, on Tuesday visited Uba town to sympathise with parents of schoolchildren abducted in Mussa community, assuring that efforts were being intensified to secure the safe release of the children.

 

The visit is coming five days after the abduction of the pupils, most of them under six years.

 

Zulum met with parents of the abducted children at the palace of the Emir of Uba, and conveyed his heartfelt sympathy to the Emir, the parents of the abducted children and the entire people of the area over the unfortunate incident.

 

“I want to convey my deepest sympathy to the Emir of Uba, parents of the abducted children and the entire people of Uba Emirate over the recent unfortunate incident,” Zulum stated.

 

“Let me assure you that the Federal Government under the distinguished leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Nigerian Armed Forces and Borno State Government will do everything possible to secure the release of the children.”

READ MORE  Eid- El- Kabir: NSCDC deploys over 2,500 operatives in Kaduna

 

There has been no statement yet on the incident from the Federal Government.

 

The governor commended the military and other security agencies for taking proactive measures to prevent further deterioration of security in the area.

 

He disclosed that the Brigade Commander, Commanding Officer, Divisional Police Officer and other heads of security establishments had already been deployed to strengthen security and facilitate the safe return of the abducted children.

 

Zulum also pledged to fortify security in Askira, Uba and adjoining communities to prevent a recurrence of similar incidents.

 

“We have made frantic efforts to stabilize Askira, Uba and adjoining communities through reinforcing security in these areas,” he said.

 

The governor appealed to the abductors to release the innocent children, noting that they were minors who required the care and protection of their parents.

 

He further called on residents of Uba Emirate and the entire people of Borno State to intensify prayers, especially during the first 10 days of the holy month of Dhul Hijjah.

READ MORE  Surveyors, Geometicians should be solution providers – Surveyor General

 

Speaking during the visit, the Emir of Uba, Alhaji Ali Ibn Isma’ila Mamza II revealed that the incident occurred on Friday, 15 May, when 48 persons were abducted in Mussa community, including 37 primary school pupils, six secondary school students and five other residents.

 

The monarch commended the governor for his unwavering commitment to addressing insecurity, uniting the people of the state and supporting the emirate.

 

Also speaking, a representative of the Mussa community, Dr. Chinapi Amanja, appreciated the governor for the visit and acknowledged the deployment of senior military officers and other security personnel to the area.

 

Meanwhile, Zulum has also visited Chibok to commiserate with communities affected by recent attacks by terrorists.

 

Addressing district and village heads, and other stakeholders, the governor said he was deeply saddened by the attacks, which claimed several lives and left many injured.

READ MORE  Speakership Election: I fougt and I will continue to fight for democracy - Wase

 

“I purposely came to Chibok to sympathize with you over the recent attacks in some parts of the local government which claimed many lives and left others injured,” Zulum said.

 

“I want to assure you that the Federal Government, Nigerian Armed Forces and the Borno State Government will do everything possible to avert the recurrence of such incidents.”

 

The governor urged residents to remain calm and law-abiding, assuring them that government was making concerted efforts to restore normalcy in the area through the deployment of additional troops.

 

He also prayed for the repose of the souls of those who lost their lives and asked God to grant their families the fortitude to bear the loss.

 

Speaking on behalf of the affected communities, the District Head of Garu, Engr. Zannah Madu, appreciated the governor for the visit and for the continued government intervention in addressing security challenges in the area.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here