2 German engineers shot dead in Abuja – Report

Date:

By Ese Awhotu with agency report

. . .As Navy warns on expatriate kidnappers in Nigeria

The German Foreign Office has disclosed that two Germans have been killed in Nigeria. The men were shot dead last Saturday while making a private outing on a motorbike, according to northern German newspaper.

The Ostsee Zeitung newspaper on Wednesday identified the men as engineers aged 34 and about 20 who worked for the large Nigerian construction company Julius Berger.

Both originated from Germany’s northeastern state of Mecklenburg-West Pomerania, the newspaper said.

The Foreign Office provided no further details, saying the German embassy in Abuja was seeking clarification in close contact with Nigerian authorities.

READ MORE  FG opens job creation portal for unemployed

A source at Julius Berger’s head office in Abuja said.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Navy has alerted Nigerians to be wary of the activities of some unscrupulous foreigners in the country who now engaged in such heinous crimes as kidnapping and hostage-taking.

The Commanding Officer, Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) Delta, Captain Musa Gemu, gave the warning Thursday evening while handing over two kidnapped expatriates to their company lawyer at the Naval Base Warri.

According to Gemu, the two men were rescued by the naval operatives who stormed Broadwell Hotel in Warri, where the duo had been allegedly held hostage for about two weeks after illegally being held in Sapele by some Delta State-based expatriate businessmen, including a German and a Belgian.

READ MORE  Erection of Jacob Zuma statue in Owerri insult on Nigerians - Group

Speaking to newsmen, the freed men commended the Nigerian Navy for their intervention as well as a Romanian and Captain of the cargo vessel, Mr Radu Daniel Stefan, and a Latenian, Mr Sergjst Kuzuecuz.

 

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Group Sues Benue Govt, 10 Others Over Federal Allocations to Kwande, Ushongo

...Demands disclosure of FAAC allocations to two LGAs from...

Gov Alia Nominates Six Commissioners, Seeks Benue Assembly’s Prompt Approval

From Uche Nnorom, Makurdi Benue State Governor, Rev. Fr. Hyacinth...

Kaduna Govt Challenges Ashiru Over Education Funding Claims

From Femi Oyelola, Kaduna The Kaduna State Government has challenged...

Shagari demands transparency in Sokoto subsidised grain sales

Former Deputy Governor of Sokoto State, Mukhtar Shehu Shagari,...