NEAP warns Reuters against frustrating peace efforts in North East

Date:

 

By Tobias Lengnan Dapam

 

Following a publication by Reuters termed ‘demonic journalism’ by the Nigerian Military, a civil society organisation, North East Advocacy for Peace (NEAP) has warned the international news agency not to frustrate the peace efforts in the region.

 

The CSO said the ongoing military operations in the region is so far responsible for peace in the region.

 

It described as unethical and failed mission the attempt by Reuters a foreign media outfit, to use its medium to undermine national security.

 

Meanwhile, the international news agency, now part of Thomson Reuters, wrote that it was working on a series of stories about purported actions of the Nigerian military during the government’s 13-year war against Islamist insurgents in the country’s North East.

READ MORE  APC primaries: How Sen. Lidani won Gombe south senatorial ticket

 

The group in a statement on Friday, by its President, Abdul Monguno, said Reuters is going petty in a concocted plot to smear the image of the Armed Forces of Nigeria with fake propaganda and unsubstantiated claims.

 

It said Nigerians, particularly people living in the North East region will not fall for the evil agenda of Reuters.

 

He said “It is a shame that Reuters is now acting as agents for terrorists that have caused us pains. Terrorists that sent us into internally displaced people’s (IDP) homes in our country. It is a shame that a group of people who caused us several years backwardness can be defended by Reuters.

 

“Is Reuters aware of the several girl children forced into motherhood as a result of the activities of the insurgents? Is Reuters aware of our youths who have abandoned everything to become terrorists? Is Reuters aware of families who have been disjointed and some killed?

READ MORE  Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan Unveils Free Wi-Fi Plan for Youth Empowerment

 

“We, NEAP and several other genuine organisations are in a better place to say what we have faced in the years that our region has been turned upside down. Reuters cannot speak for us.

 

“Instead of crucifying our military, they should be commended for the sacrifice been made to restore peace and stability in our region.

 

“We use this opportunity to warn that the gradual return of peace as a result of ongoing operations should not be truncated by the ulterior motives of Reuters. Is Reuters alarmed that peace is gradually returning to our region?

 

“Is the media house aware of the several terrorists who have surrendered and genuinely repented of their former nefarious activities?

READ MORE  Kebbi: EU, UNICEF, WHO urge more govt. commitment to health, education

 

“The Nigerian military has been commended globally for peace keeping in places of unrest, Reuters is aware of this. Therefore, the negative report will not swear the minds of Nigerians, especially we the people of the region.”

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Kwara Central Senator Dumps APC

The Senator representing Kwara Central, Senator Saliu Mustapha has...

2027: PDP candidate, Galadima outlines agenda for healthcare, infrastructure, peace in Wukari/Ibi

By Stanley Onyekwere Tpl. Mukhtar Usman Galadima, has officially...

Citizens Group Applauds NNPC, NUPRC as Reforms Drive $20bn Gas Investments, Boost Oil Production

The Citizens Forum for Energy Accountability and Development (CFEAD)...

Sokoto ADC governorship candidate mourns boat accident victims

From Bashir Rabe Mani in Sokoto The Governorship Candidate of...