50 more bodies recovered in Borno

Date:

From Mustapha Isah Kwaru, Maiduguri

Over 50 dead bodies were yesterday recovered from the debris of burnt shops at the Gamboru main market and some houses, following the Monday’s bloody attack carried out by suspected insurgents in Gamborou Ngala town, of Borno state.

This is even as no fewer than 310 dead victims were so far buried, residents told newsmen yesterday.

Resident Abor Masa said after the re-opening of the market yesterday, over 50 dead bodies were recovered by health workers, volunteers and traders.

“Since the day of the attack, nobody went near the market until today (Wednesday) and unfortunately, we found many dead bodies in destroyed shops.

READ MORE  Adamawa assembly impeaches deputy speaker, majority leader

There were some Chadian and Cameroonian traders among them, who hid in shops. Some of the bodies were beyond recognition. It seems they hid in the shops in order not be killed while fleeing; unfortunately, several explosives were thrown into the market,” he said.

Sources said few hours before the arrival of the insurgents, some people allegedly told security personnel in Gamboru that they sighted some men ferrying some girls across the border.

“When the security heard this, they mobilized together with civilian JTF and headed towards the area and that was when the assailants stormed the town and subdued the few security officials on ground before burning the town,” the source said.

READ MORE  Boko Haram: Islamic society berates CAN over calls for removal of N/East governors

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Yobe Sets 3 Million-Tree Target in Fresh Battle Against Desertification

  From Muhammad Maitela, Damaturu The Yobe State Government has launched...

G100, Reps Minority Caucus Forge Opposition Alliance to Take On APC in 2027

The push to forge a united opposition ahead of...

2027: Why Middle Belt could hand Adebayo the presidency, says Kavwam

By Lateef Ibrahim, Abuja As the 2027 presidential election draws...

2027: When Qualifications Raise Questions, Choose the Candidate With Nothing to Explain

By Adedayo Olalekan   Nigeria's 2027 general election may ultimately become...