DHQ identifies Shekau’s impostor

Date:

Boko HaramBy Ese Awhotu & Joy Baba with agency report

  • Says he is Bashir Mohammed
  • Shekau alive and well, says journalist
  • 10 more insurgents surrender

More revelations have trailed the real identity of the Boko Haram Commander the military believed had been playing Abubakar Shekau, leader of the sect said to have been killed some time ago in a shootout with soldiers.

This is just as a journalist with extensive link with the sect said yesterday Abubakar Shekau is alive and well.

A military intelligence source also yesterday revealed that the top Boko Haram figure (Fake Shekau) killed in a recent operation was actually one Bashir Mohammed, leader of the Islamist sect’s Uye camp.

But the Cameroonian authorities yesterday released a photo of a dead man they identified as Abubakar Shekau, the loquacious and attention-seeking leader of the terrorist group that has launched deadly strikes in Nigeria’s northeast zone as well as Cameroon.

The Nigerian intelligence source told Sahara Reporters that Nigerian soldiers, not Cameroonian troops, had killed Mr. Bashir last Friday, in a fierce battle against Boko Haram insurgents in Konduga, Borno State. The late Mr. Bashir, who bore a striking resemblance to Abubakar Shekau and had appeared in a recent video, was killed as he led insurgents who were attempting to capture Konduga and then made a bid to seize Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, as well. Nigerian soldiers routed the militants in Konduga, killing hundreds of them and capturing weapons as well as vehicles abandoned by fleeing insurgents.

READ MORE  Reps move to change Navy University to Admiralty, as Bill scales second reading

The military as well as Nigerian government-appointed negotiators claim that the original Mr. Shekau had died since last year, reportedly assassinated by his lieutenants.

The intelligence source said Mr. Bashir had adopted Mr. Shekau’s ‘nom deguere’ and had been the person responsible for issuing video messages in recent times.

According to Sahara Reporters, even though the source said the military was cautious not to claim credit for Mr. “Shekau’s” death, he added that the Nigerian military was buoyed by the capture of the armored tank usually displayed in the background of recent videos issued by the sect’s spokesman.

Meanwhile, as the news of the killing of their leader in Konduga began to spread among Boko Haram insurgents, more of the terrorists believing their planned attack on Maiduguri would no longer be feasible, have continued to surrender to Nigerian soldiers.

On Sunday night another set of terrorists surrendered to troops in Kawuri, the town a bloody battle raged between troops and the terrorists a fortnight ago leaving over 50 terrorists dead.

In a tweet on the incident posted its handle yesterday, the Defence headquarters said, “Another Set of 10 Terrorists yesterday surrendered to Troops at Kawuri. In custody for necessary security debriefing”

READ MORE  I was molested by Police over N300, 000 illegal debt-Pastor alleges

It was gathered that with this number from Kawuri; about 40 terrorists including those from Konduga have so far surrendered.

Just on Saturday, 5 terrorists surrendered with all their weapons to troops at Konduga pleading for mercy

It would be recalled that over fifty terrorists were killed in a recent shootout as troops raided their hideout in Kawuri before setting out on a planned attack on Konduga.

One Fabricated Artillery Gun, Two Anti – Aircraft gun, an armoured vehicle and assorted types of ammunition were captured in the process.

Some hardware, weapons, food items and personal belongings were also destroyed in the Raid, the Army said.

One officer and two soldiers were seriously wounded in the confrontation.

The Nigerian military also yesterday debunked claims that a neighbouring country, Cameroun was responsible for the elimination of some terrorists in Nigeria last week.

 According to a tweet from the handle of Defence Headquarters, “There was no raid whatsoever by Cameroon or any foreign forces in any part of Nigeria’s territory in pursuit of terrorists as claimed in some reports allegedly quoting Cameroon military authorities.

 “All operations ongoing in the environs of Konduga and all associated border locations within the country are completely being undertaken by Nigerian troops.”

READ MORE  Kefas consoles NUJ, family over Ben Adaji’s death

While the Nigerian military is yet to officially name some of the top terrorists killed in recent operations, more suspected insurgents have continued to surrender themselves to the troop.

Meanwhile, Ahmed Salkida, a Dubai-based Nigerian journalist who reportedly maintains communication with some leaders of the insurgent group Boko Haram, claimed in a report by Sahara Reporters yesterday that the sect’s leader, Abubakar Shekau, is alive and well.

 Mr. Salkida denied reports asserting that Nigerian troops had killed the mercurial and fiendish Shekau, the speaker and voice in numerous videos released by Boko Haram.

 In a tweet earlier yesterday, Mr. Salkida also dismissed media reports that the Nigerian government was negotiating with Boko Haram for the release of more than 200 schoolgirls kidnapped in mid-April by Boko Haram militants in Chibok, Borno State. The reporter’s tweet also described as untrue reports that the International Red Cross (IRC) was working on a deal that would persuade Boko Haram to free the abducted Chibok schoolgirls in exchange for the release of detained insurgents in the custody of Nigerian security agencies.

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

2 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

POVERTY, REFORM AND THE PROBLEM OF CAUSATION

*What the evidence says about hardship, recovery and the...

Another Oil Boom, But for Whom?

By Lemmy Ughegbe, Ph.D Fifty billion dollars is the kind...

The Adamawa ADC Crisis and Nigeria’s Test of Internal Democracy

By Salingo B Adamu As Nigeria edges closer to...

ADC blames Osun defeat on candidate imposition,hails Adeleke

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) under the leadership...