Blackout: Collapse grid fully restored – TCN

Date:

By Abubakar Yunusa

The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) says it has fully restored the collapsed national electricity grid.
The TCN General Manager, Public Affairs, Ndidi Mbah, disclosed this in a statement Monday afternoon.
Earlier on Monday, Nigeria’s electricity grid collapsed yet again, throwing several cities into darkness.
The grid collapsed as generation dropped to 64.70 megawatts, officials said.
The latest collapse occurred less than a month after the national grid system collapsed in March.
TCN, in its statement, said the collapse of the national grid on Monday morning was caused by a fire incident at the Afam power generating station, leading to a sudden generation loss of 25 MW and 305 MW, respectively.
“The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) announces the complete restoration of the national grid following a fire incident at the Afam power generating station, which caused a partial disturbance of the national grid.
“At 02:41 hrs today, 15th April 2024, a fire erupted at the Afam V 330kV busbar coupler, leading to units tripping at Afam III and Afam VI,” Ms Mbah said.
She said this resulted in a sudden generation loss of 25 MW and 305 MW, respectively, destabilising the grid and causing a partial collapse.
During the incident, she said the Ibom Power plant was isolated from the grid and was supplying parts of the Port Harcourt region.
She explained that this further minimised the effect of the system disturbance.
“TCN confirms that the affected grid section has been fully restored and stabilised.
“TCN reaffirms its commitment to enhancing the resilience and reliability of the national grid and pledges to continue investing in measures to strengthen the grid infrastructure,” she said.

READ MORE  NNPC assures Nigerians of availability of petrol

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

TODAY'S e-PUBLICATION

Popular

More like this
Related

Sokoto ADC governorship candidate mourns boat accident victims

From Bashir Rabe Mani in Sokoto The Governorship Candidate of...

Sokoto Boat Accident: Death Toll Rises to 47

From Bashir Rabe Mani in Sokoto Fourty-seven bodies have so...

2027: PDP candidate, Galadima outlines agenda for healthcare, infrastructure, peace in Wukari/Ibi

By Stanley Onyekwere Mukhtar Usman Galadima, popularly known as...

Sokoto boat accident: At least 40 bodies recovered

By Reuters Bodies of victims of a boat accident lie in...