Curfew imposed on Wukari, as thugs attack APC campaign convoy

Date:

From Ayodele Samuel, Lagos

Political thugs suspected to be loyal to the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) have attacked the Campaign convoy of the All Progressive Congress (APC) governorship candidate in Taraba State, Alh. Sani Abubakar Danladi, in Wukari local government area of the state.
However, Taraba State Governor, Arc. Darius Dickson ishaku has imposed a 6pm to 6am curfew on Wukari beginning from January 17, 2019, until further notice.
Danladi and his campaign team were heading to Ibi Local Government to kick start his political campaign for the election.
The APC campaign team had left Jalingo earlier in the day for a campaign tour in the Southern area of the state.
On getting to Ibi- Wukari roundabout, in what appears to be a we’ll organized and planned, armed political thugs in large numbers waylaid the APC convoy carrying the APC candidate Senator Danladi, Nigerian envoy to the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago Alh. Hassan Ardo Jika and many influencial members of the APC in the state.
The armed youths who were carrying dangerous weapons opened fire on the convoy allegedly injuring several persons and subsequently burnt down about ten vehicles while looting personal belongings of the occupants who had fled for dear lives.
Taraba state APC spokesperson, Aaron Artimas said that it was a well organized attack orchestrated by the PDP government in the state.
Artimas said that “while we were on our way to Wukari, we got information that the Chairman of Wukari local government area Mr Adi Daniel allegedly sponsored some youths to burn down APC billboards and facilities in the area. So it is not surprising that they have taken their frustration to this extent of organizing the youths to attack our convoy and attempt to assassinate the Ambassador and our governorship candidate.
He noted that it took the effort and intervention of Army Personnel to move the APC campaign entourage out of Wukari to Ibi township where the rally has been rescheduled to hold on Friday.
The state governor said the curfew was necessitated by the invasion of Wukari today by the Gubernatorial candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, with political thugs causing a breakdown of law and order in the town.
He also disassociate the PDP from the crisis saying it was a case of political thuggery between the APC and its aggrieved members of the United Democratic Party, (UDP).
“The decision to impose the curfew is to prevent further breakdown of law and order in the town and its environs. The Governor urged the people to be law-abiding and to c00perate with the law enforcement agencies in order to avoid further deterioration of the security situation in the town. “ Ishaku said in a statement.
He advised politicians to exercise restraint as they move around to campaign and to ensure that thugs have no role to play during campains and the elections.

READ MORE  ASUU strike: Group backs Tinubu to address the lingering issues

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

The Adamawa ADC Crisis and Nigeria’s Test of Internal Democracy

By Salingo B Adamu As Nigeria edges closer to...

ADC blames Osun defeat on candidate imposition,hails Adeleke

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) under the leadership...

PDP celebrates Adeleke’s victory in Osun

By Lateef Ibrahim ​The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has welcomed...

Tonlagha receives top 100 African women honour at UK conference

...Pledges more humanitarian service The Chief Executive Officer of the...