Drama as Justice Crack ditches Marshall Abubakar in open court

Date:

The bail application filed by Chidiebere Justice Mark, popularly known as Justice Crack, on Thursday suffered a setback at the Federal High Court in Abuja after he informed the court that he had ditched Marshall Abubakar for Femi Balogun, as his counsel.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik had, on May 4, fixed today for hearing of Mark’s bail request shortly after he was arraigned by the Department of State Services (DSS) and pleaded not guilty to a three-count charge.

The adjournment followed an application by Mark’s lawyer, Marshall Abubakar, who told the court of the need to admit his client to bail pending trial.

READ MORE  Lawyer threatens legal action against Customs over ‘inconclusive’ promotion exercise

The DSS had, in the charge marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/253/2026, sued Crack, as sole defendant over alleged cybercrime offences linked to a viral video concerning the Nigerian Army.

Mark was alleged to have circulated a false information and publication of materials capable of causing public unrest.

The defendant, who was reportedly arrested by the Nigerian Army, was accused of publishing the viral video and accompanying statements through his X handle, @JusticeCrack, alleging inadequate feeding of Nigerian soldiers.

When the case was called on Thursday, Leyii Abueh, from the Federal Ministry of Justice, informed the court that the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) had taken over the matter from the DSS in line with the relevant section of the law.

READ MORE  Jonathan briefs Buhari on Mali crisis

However, things took a dramatic twist as Femi Balogun and Abubakar stood up to announce appearance for the same Crack.

Balogun told the court that he was briefed by Mark’s family to take up the case.

He notified the court about the defence bail application already filed.

However, Abubakar stood his ground, insisting that he was the defendant’s lawyer, who had been appearing in the case and he had not been disengaged from handling Crack’s matter.

Justice Abdulmalik then asked the defendant to identify his lawyer and Mark pointed at Balogun.

Against this development, Abubakar applied to withdraw all the processes he filed in respect of the case, including the bail application which Balogun had relied on.

READ MORE  Victims of communal clash, flood get succour in Gombe

The judge struck out the processes filed by Abubakar and adjourned until May 18 for hearing of the fresh bail application.

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Radda Flags Off Distribution of $1.7m Medical Supplies, Equipment

Katsina State Governor, Malam Dikko Umaru Radda, on Saturday...

ECOWAS Stabilisation Mission in Guinea-Bissau Boosts Troops ’ Fitness, Camaraderie

ECOWAS Stabilisation Mission in Guinea-Bissau Boosts Troops ’ Fitness,...

Tinubu felicitates Victoria Gowon at 80

By Egena Sunday Ode President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has...

At 28, Osborn Umahi Emerges Ohaozara Council Chairman

Engr. Osborn Nweze Umahi has emerged chairman of Ohaozara...