FCTA moves against illegal Street naming cartel

Date:

By Stanley Onyekwere

Worried by nefarious activities of an undisclosed cartel allegedly involved in illegal Street naming in Abuja, the authorities of the FCT Administration have indicated  plans to prosecute those behind the menace.

This was even as it said that the legal battle between FCTA and the Abuja Municipal Area Council ( AMAC) over the matter would be resolved amicably,  with the understanding of all stakeholders. 

Making this point yesterday, Coordinator, Abuja Metropolitan Management Council ( AMMC), Umar Shuaibu, noted that while the ruling of the FCT High Court on the Street naming has been appealed, all stakeholders,  including the AMAC leadership have agreed to set up an interagency committee to consider all factors around it.

READ MORE  Service delivery: FCT Minister tasks workers on attitudinal change

Shuaibu clarified that FCTA was not taking over AMAC’s responsibilities,  but doing what the law permits it, as a major provider of infrastructure in the Capital City. 

He also opined that it’s intervention in the issue was to restore the integrity of the process,  alleging that investigation has exposed unscrupulous individuals who were  adulterating it for personal gains, using AMAC as a cover.

According to him, “ the existence of a cartel who are operating for their personal aggrandisement using the AMAC as a cover.  Even the AMAC leadership is not aware of the extent of the damage and quantum of corruption perpetrated in the name of Street naming under it.

READ MORE  Candido unveils AMAC Microfinance Board

“ As such the FCTA is going to engage the anti-corruption agencies to ensure that all those involved in the infamous activities are brought to books or face the wrath of the law”.

Also speaking, the Executive Chairman, AMAC, Christopher Maikalangu said his council was interested in having a harmonised process for the purpose of achieving a desired result. 

Maikalangu who claimed ignorance of the rot in the street naming process, revealed the committee in charge of it  had been in place before he came into office.

He however, assured that the Council would  co-operate  with FCTA on the issue, to find a lasting and mutual beneficial solution.

READ MORE  No Nigerian child should beg for alms in Abuja, others -Abubakar

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

LEADERSHIP news editor authors book On digital shift in Nigeria’s newspaper industry

… Sets for launch October 29 The Group News...

Troops Intercept Canoes Procured By Terrorist Kingpin in Zamfara 

Troops of the Joint Task Force North West Operation...

JUST IN: We’ll Keep Our Campaign Promises, Yari Assures Nigerians

By Jude Opara The Director-General of the All Progressives Congress...

Tinubu renews tenure of DG NTA, MD NAN

President Bola Tinubu has renewed the tenure of the...