Kaduna Police chief defends parading of suspects

Date:

From Femi Oyelola, Kaduna

The Kaduna State Commissioner of Police, Rabiu Mohammad, has called on the police to parade criminal suspects arrested in the state, arguing that this practice would help deter crime and raise public awareness of criminal activities.
He stated that serial criminals deserve no mercy.
Mohammad appealed on Monday, while briefing journalists on the police command’s operational achievements over the past two weeks, noting that many suspects exploit legal protections to reoffend after arrest.
The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), had earlier banned the Nigeria Police Force from parading suspects.
He explained that while the police respect the rule of law and constitutional provisions, certain criminal elements continue to exploit procedural safeguards to avoid lasting consequences.
“Some of these criminals are exploiting the legal system. Once they are arrested in one location, they move to another to continue committing similar offenses,” he said.
He added that public parades of suspects, especially those caught in the act or found with incriminating evidence, would help communities identify and prevent repeat offenders.
“If we parade them, the public will know them and be wary of them. Wherever they go, people will recognize them and avoid being victimized. It will serve as a strong deterrent to others,” Rabiu stated.
The police commissioner also emphasized that not parading suspects sometimes reduces public confidence in police efforts, noting that visual identification has historically strengthened community policing.
He reaffirmed that the command remains dedicated to working within the law while protecting public safety.
Rabiu further urged the judiciary to consider allowing controlled public parades of suspects with exhibits or caught in the act, insisting it would improve transparency in policing.
“This will also enlighten the public on police efforts to combat crime and criminality,” he added.
However, he reiterated that the police will continue respecting court procedures and due process in prosecuting all suspects.
Mohammad highlighted recent successes, including arrests of kidnappers, armed robbers, and other violent offenders across different areas, noting that the command’s operations extend beyond Kaduna due to the transnational nature of crimes.
“As criminals move across states to commit crimes, we also pursue them wherever they go. We are committed to ensuring Kaduna State remains safe,” he said.
The police chief praised officers, cooperation from other security agencies, and residents who provided credible intelligence that has led to recent arrests.
He also reaffirmed the commitment of the Inspector-General of Police and the Kaduna State Government to strengthening security operations in the state.

READ MORE  Civil Defence Corps advices Nigerians on private security guards

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Youth Day 2026: Waterlight Save Initiative Hosts Global Youth Forum, Empowers Participants

The Waterlight Save Initiative has hosted the 2026 i-HEAL...

SPEAKER TAJUDEEN ABBAS AND THE DOCTRINE OF PEOPLE-FIRST LEADERSHIP

By Abdulkadir Bello I can't afford not to join millions...

2027 polls: Obi described as ‘candidate of conscience’, as campaigns begin

By Jude Opara As campaigns for the 2027 general...

As campaigns for 2027 elections begin today: Election not do-or-die contest, Tinubu declares

• Urges political actors to shun divisive sentiments • President,...