NDC Reps aspirant denies zoning rumour in Anambra, blames opponents

Date:

By Jude Opara

The House of Representatives aspirant of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, (NDC), for Nnewi North, Nnewi South and Ekwusigo Federal Constituency, Mr Obunike Ohaegbu, has dismissed claims that the party has zoned its House of Representatives ticket to Ekwusigo Local Government Area ahead of the 2027 elections.
Ohaegbu described the reports circulating on social media as false and politically motivated, alleging that opponents were spreading the rumours to create confusion within the party.
Speaking through a statement issued on Monday, the lawyer and political activist urged supporters of the party to remain calm, insisting that the NDC had not taken any decision on zoning in the constituency.
According to him, the party, which he said was founded on the principles of equity, justice and fairness, would not allocate both the senatorial and House of Representatives tickets to one local government area.
He said: “The NDC cannot make the mistake of zoning both tickets to Ekwusigo out of the three local governments that make up the constituency.
“If the party decides to field a senatorial candidate from Ekwusigo, it will not also concede the House of Representatives ticket to the same local government.
“What then happens to Nnewi North and Nnewi South? I am from Nnewi South, which has 20 wards. Such a decision would be difficult to justify to the other local governments.”
The aspirant further stated that the party had not commenced the sale of nomination forms, insisting that no zoning arrangement had been approved.
Ohaegbu alleged that the rumours were being sponsored by political opponents who were unsettled by the growing popularity of the NDC in Anambra State following the recent defection of Peter Obi to the party.
He also accused unnamed members of the APC of attempting to destabilize the NDC over fears of losing political influence in the South-East.
“There is no truth in the zoning claim. Those behind it are afraid of the growing acceptance of the NDC across the state,” he added.

READ MORE  ADC rejects Abia’s new campaign fees, says policy threatens fair 2027 elections

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Sokoto Boat Mishap: Death Toll Hits 65 as 11 Survivors Are Rescued

From Bashir Rabe Mani, Sokoto The death toll from Thursday’s...

Insecurity: Tambuwal, Dasuki Seek Urgent Attention for Sokoto Communities

By Bashir Rabe Mani, Sokoto Former Sokoto State Governor and...

Kefas Declares War on Climate Threats, Orders LGAs, Citizens to Act

By Godwin Agia, Taraba Taraba State Governor, Dr Agbu Kefas,...

100 Days in Captivity: Borno Families Cry Out, Demand Urgent Rescue of Abducted Children

Families of abducted schoolchildren and other victims in Borno...