Plateau: Illegal mining now a national malaise – RDI

Date:

The Renevlyn Development Initiative (RDI) has described the deaths of 13 young miners in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State, barely a week after a mine collapse led to over 30 deaths in a border area between Taraba and Adamawa States as a national tragedy reflecting the seriousness of illegal mining in the country.

The latest incident on Saturday 9 November 2024 happened in the boundary between Bassa, Jos South and Jos North LGAs in Plateau State, with most of the dead said to be teens and young men from Bassa trying to eke out a living through mining.

In a statement shared with newsmen, RDI said that the increasing number of mine collapse incidents especially in the north indicates that the magnitude of illegal mining is beyond what the eye can capture even as it noted that lack of proper oversight by the relevant agencies should be a cause of concern.

READ MORE  Nigeria: 820 hate speeches recorded in one month - Survey

RDI Executive Director, Philip Jakpor said:

“We had thought that with the uproar that trailed the Shiroro mine collapse in Niger State in August and that of the border between Taraba and Adamawa just last week we had heard the last of mine collapse but the incident in Plateau State shows that the entire architecture of oversight on mining operations needs to be interrogated and overhauled to halt the deaths of young Nigerians”

Jakpor said that governments at all levels seem to have given up or are in complicit silence over the invasion of mining sites across Nigeria by illegal miners either Chinese or indigenous and the inauguration of the mining marshals by the government at the center has not stopped the illegalities.

READ MORE  Hoodlums remove brain of 11-yr-old Almajiri pupil in Bauchi

“We believe it is now time for a complete review of the Mining marshal initiative to make it more in line with the realities on ground in the mining communities. Of particular urgency is the need for synergy in their operation with local communities and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) which is currently not happening”

The RDI boss said that there is need for a national convening on illegal mining to enable local communities determine how their resources are extracted and used for their benefit, adding that currently the oil curse in the Niger Delta seem to be playing out with solid minerals in northern Nigeria.

READ MORE  Owo Catholic Church massacre: Four to die by hanging, one acquitted

“The mining deaths are avoidable and unacceptable. Now is the time for the government to identify and hold the illegal mine operators accountable for not only fleecing the nation and ruining our environment, but also killing our people. Anything short of this is a time bomb waiting to explode”, Jakpor insisted.

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Group Sues Benue Govt, 10 Others Over Federal Allocations to Kwande, Ushongo

...Demands disclosure of FAAC allocations to two LGAs from...

Gov Alia Nominates Six Commissioners, Seeks Benue Assembly’s Prompt Approval

From Uche Nnorom, Makurdi Benue State Governor, Rev. Fr. Hyacinth...

Kaduna Govt Challenges Ashiru Over Education Funding Claims

From Femi Oyelola, Kaduna The Kaduna State Government has challenged...

Shagari demands transparency in Sokoto subsidised grain sales

Former Deputy Governor of Sokoto State, Mukhtar Shehu Shagari,...