Police confirm arrest of man who allegedly murdered girlfriend, stole phone in Akwa Ibom

Date:

Akwa Ibom State Police Command said it has arrested one Ndifreke Isaiah Nelson for the alleged murder of his girlfriend, Emem Monday Effanga, and stealing her mobile phone after committing the crime.

This was contained in a statement by the Command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Timfon John in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State capital on Monday.

The PPRO recalled that sometime in February 2025, the Command received a report that the deceased was found dead in her apartment under suspicious circumstances.

She said upon arrival at the scene, operatives observed visible marks of violence on her face and neck, suggesting she had been strangled and beaten to death.

READ MORE  97 Nigerians on US deportation list as DHS adds 18 more

She added that the scene was processed, evidence documented, and the body was evacuated to the hospital, where she was confirmed clinically dead by medical personnel.

The corpse was thereafter deposited at the mortuary for preservation and autopsy.

The said, “following swift investigations, detectives traced the last person seen with the deceased to be Ndifreke Isaiah Nelson, who had visited her residence on 6th February 2025, the morning of his birthday.

“The suspect was later tracked to a church in Uyo, where he attempted to escape upon sighting police operatives but was swiftly pursued and apprehended.

“During interrogation, the suspect confessed to visiting the victim that morning and demanding to use her phone to take pictures for his birthday celebration on social media.

READ MORE  Economy badly managed under Jonathan- Atiku

“When she refused, a struggle ensued, during which he overpowered her, strangled her with his hands, and struck her head on the floor with fist blows, leaving her unconscious before fleeing with her phone. One Itel Super Phone, belonging to the deceased, was recovered from him at the time of arrest.

“A post-mortem examination has been conducted, and the cause of death has been officially documented by a pathologist. The suspect will be charged to court.”

John stated that the Commissioner of Police, CP Baba Mohammed Azare, has assured that justice will be served and warned against all forms of domestic violence and criminal acts.

READ MORE  MTEF: Reps threaten to withhold CAC’s 2022 budget over failure to present financial reports

The Commissioner also urged the public to remain security conscious and report suspicious activities to the Police. (DAILY POST)

Never miss a moment! Get the stories shaping Nigeria, delivered straight to your phone. Follow Peoplesdaily Newspaper on WhatsApp for breaking news, exclusive reports, and the headlines everyone will be talking about, before anyone else.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

DSS Tracks Down ‘Fake Officer’ Extorting Motorists in Abuja

*Arrested in tactical uniform, with fake pistol The Department of...

We’re saving future of Nigerians, not foolish, Ogun NDLEA Commander replies Sowore

The Ogun State Commander of the National Drugs Law...

Tinubu Orders National Threat Assessment, Strategic Defence Plan 

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has approved the immediate preparation...

MAN Urges Kano Govt to Fast-Track Electricity Reform, Tax Harmonisation

By Augustine Aminu The Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN),...